Oodles of Noodles! (Well, just really curly hair.)

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by Lizzie~Bee, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Lizzie~Bee

Lizzie~Bee Member

But my friend once "ate" my hair! Anyway.... my hair is extremely curly. Small, tight curls and some looser ones. I usually have to use hair gel and moose and annoying products like that, but I would prefer to use something in the shower, brush it, and let it dry without having to put chemicals or product into my hair! Does anyone know any natural things to use in my hair to keep it less frizzy, dry and annoying? Greatly appreciated... :)

2. gypsymama

gypsymama Member

i use olive oil about 2 times a week. makes my hair really smooth and shiney and caonditions well. run it thru your hair an leave it in for about 10 to 15 min then rinse with warm water. be very carefull how much you put in and try not to put it at your scalp. your scalp dont need any condition at all. do you wash eveyday? if yoiu do....dont... its very bad for curly hair. every other day to every couple of days. dont use gel or mousse. it has alchohol and will only dry it out and make it more frizzy.. smiles and good luck.....

3. Lizzie~Bee

Lizzie~Bee Member

I hear olive oil leaves a rancid smell, is that true? And do you warm the oil first, or no? But no, I don't wash every day. I know that's bad at least. :) As for gel and moose, I haven't used it in a while. ^^

Thank you!

4. gypsymama

gypsymama Member

if it does, i dont really notice. i dont warm it. you could put a hot towel around it is you like. it opens the cutical of the hair and helps absorb it . make sure you shampoo after. and you are very welcome :) peace to you....

5. Lizzie~Bee

Lizzie~Bee Member

Ahh, it worked! My new sig picture was taken the same day I used the oil in my hair. :) The curls were so crazy that day! We warmed it and wrapped it in plastic wrap, though, because I was afraid that the towel would soak up the oil before my hair could.

I am going to start doing this regularly, though. :) Peace to you, too. <3

6. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

hmm. you should dread your hair. then maintenance would be much easier.

anyway, my girlfriends got really really curly hair... and she used to use all those products and i used to hate when she put moose and gel in her hair. i told her one day to just stop. i told just to try out shampooing it once a week and if she wants just conditioner..a nd not to brush it once she got out of the shower. and now she loves her hair.

maybe the same can work for you? just use conditioner if you must, wash once a week, and only brush while your in the shower if you feel you have to.

7. Lizzie~Bee

Lizzie~Bee Member

oh, i already shampoo once a week, brush in the shower and condition. :) but thank you! i want to dread my hair a lot, but i love the curls SO much that it is really an intense decision to make! :p

8. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

ive seen some girls with beautiful curly dreads. those are pretty fucking intense.

9. Lizzie~Bee

Lizzie~Bee Member

You're right, they are. I'll more than likely end up letting them dread naturally over the summer. Especially since I get out of school this week, it will be easier, so I don't have to control the locks in class. :p

10. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

i also heard people with curly hair shouldnt brush it, but i cant stand not brushing my hair! lol but now that a bunch of people have recommended the olive oil, i just have to try it. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

11. Niemiway

Niemiway Member

actually not brushing curly hair is bad in the long run, the best way to brush curly hair is when it is wet.... never dry... any curly haired girl will tell you dry hair and a brush makes instant Amazon Bush Woman appear. And although i agree that curly hair doesnt need to be washed everyday it does need to be contitioned so while you have the contitioner in run your fingers through it over an over till you arent pulling loose and broken hairs out anymore... then rinse.... i know you dont like products but find a good leave in, curly hairs best friend is leave in.

12. la Principessa

thats funny because i always comb with my fingers when the conditioner is in. but today i tried the olive oil thing. i just washed that out and used conditioner. it actually is really soft. lets see how it stands the humidity.

13. liberer

liberer Member

i feel like eating noodles now

14. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I highly recommend Herbal Essences 'Hello Hydration' conditioner, I too have very curly hair - it is all natural ringlets - and this conditioner has made a much bigger difference to my hair than any of the expensive brands. I very rarely wash my hair (maybe every 2 weeks), never brush and very rarely comb it. If I comb it, I only do it in the shower. I use Pantene leave in conditioner and always leave it air dry - never blow dry.
    My hair doesn't get dirty or oily, or dread by not combing and washing all the time. Curly hair is special...can't be treated like normal hair, lol.

15. la Principessa

old thread resurrection lol