Online schools and home programs?

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by Cassy, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Cassy

Cassy Member

My story is in the introduction thred because I thought the whole site was about homeschooling...but yeah.

Is there any programs that offer A Highschool Diploma at home? I have found a few, but Im a little cautious about trying them because I dont know how reliable they are and I dont wana be victim of fraud (been there, done that, isnt cool).

Or is there a way to homeschool yourself? I dont live with my parents, so I would have to do it on my own. Is that even allowed? Right now, I live with my bf, who is a Certafied Nurses Aide at a nursing home and will be going for his RN in he next year or so. Our friend also kinda lives with us and Hes in college for theatre, so its not like Im alone or with a bunch of drug addicts or anything. I just coulndt deal with school anymore. (see my thread in introductions) and so I moved in with my bf and planned on going to school with his sisters at the local high school, but they would let me in because my parents dont live in the district and I was told I had to wait until next year and pay 500.00 a year in tuition. So I dropped out, and Have been looking for an alternative way to get my diploma. I Want to go to college still as well.

I looked into the Stratford Career Institute, but Im being very cautious. I want a NYS High School Diploma still, but right now, I just want to graduate. Any suggestions? I refuse to go back to my home school. Again, You can read my story in the introductions thread.

2. good2bhome

good2bhome Member

There are tons of schools that you can get your diploma through. I think you might like Clonara. It is expensive though. I think somewhere in the ballpark of $1000. We are currently enrolled in Kolbe Academy. You can look them up online. They are Catholic through and through but they take substitutions for their suggested cirriculum. They are about $250 per year. Call them and see if they have any advice for you. Most of the other providers expect you to use their books and finish their tests, etc. That is one of the reasons we chose KA.

What about just getting a GED and then going to a local community college for a start? Our CC don't even ask for a transcript or diploma just your ACT score.

3. Cassy

Cassy Member

The college I want to go to is a State college. My brother went there, so did my bf his brother and a couple of friends and my bf plans on going back to get his RN. I dont know what their policy i on Diplomas.

This Catholic place, are the courses really religious based? $250.00 a year is very affordable for me. Thanx for the info.

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

why not get a GED? Especially since you plan on college. I'm a high school dropout planning my grad school. It CAN be done!
    Many community colleges offer GED classes.
    what state are you dealing with?

5. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I am also a high school dropout. I got my GED in less than two weeks after the day I left that godforsaken hellhole they call a pathetic excuse for the division of the oh, so wonderful, VA dept. of education.

I plan on touring the country this year and starting college in the fall for either sound engineering or law/environmental science (possibly landing a job with a park or something, maybe even an internship as a paralegal, for now)... I'd already done a year towards my journeyman's license, so I may continue that as well. I've also considered getting a charter license or a six pack license and starting a dolphin cruise/fishing boat charter. It's a 50/50 chance... doesn't really matter too much to me, I'll just let my feet take me where they can for now.

To be honest, it's probably easier for most people to get a GED as quickly as possible and dive into community college as an interim college, do as best as you can, and show whoever your future employer/college is that just because you got your GED, it honestly doesn't matter, because that generally says you know what you need and want in life.

6. Lainey

Lainey Member

I am in Cassy's similar situation as well. I would really like to continue schooling on my own. Sure, a GED will get me into a community college, but wouldn't that disqualify me from doing something I'd really want to do, such as getting a Master's degrees in law? I am not very educated in the college schooling system, and I am afraid to ask my school counselor for advise because I just know she is only going to tell me what she wants me to hear, to stay in high school. Please, if there is anybody who took the alternative route in getting a high school diploma, help a girl out.
    I have a friend that took night classes, but he said the school only offered it under certain circumstances, such as failing a grade. I've always had excellent to average grades so I'm not sure if that would qualify.

7. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

as several have stated already.. go for a GED... there areall sorts of places to find the work n tests etc,,, in NYS you can do it right through the local PBS stations on the tv in many places...The local adult education places almost always offer the ged as well. some have regulations that you must be 18 first some are just 16....Local libraries in some areas offer ged, local colleges offer it,,, sometimes alternative schools for troubled kids offer the classes, most on a sliding scale or low fees and sometimes free

anything is possible kidz ,,, it is wether you have the initiative to go and do and work hard at it or not that will dictate the outcome of things, not where you start out at....

i have a 16 yr old that has not got much initiative,,, cant go to public school nor wants to teach self through information n knowledge seeking and wont do school work for mom either.. to some folks its a "bad mom" ...i say at what age does one need to begin taking over responsibility of there own education... in my opinion 2/3 of what is taught in public ed is absolute crap n unneeded and a huge waste of time.. test out... n then decide what it is that interests you and go from there, wether its comm college or tech school or working a while,,, you name it... its your life you control it rather than what the world deems is appropriate for you...

8. Lainey

Lainey Member

I actually decided to give my school counselor the benefit of the doubt, and to my suprise she gave me this site.

www.dese.mo.gov

This is a new online school program available for high school credits. It was a bit difficult for me to fallow, but as far as i can tell there are seats open for no fee, and also those with a tuition. The tuition fee is a bit pricy, about $300 per class a semester. Anyway you don't need anybody to teach you the material, but there is a person available for you if you do need help. All they require is to speak with your parents once a month.
    Maybe if you do some research you can find out more than i could about it.

I know what i'm looking to register for this coming fall : )