One thing you would change in past history?

Discussion in 'History' started by zeppelin kid, Apr 30, 2006.

1. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

The way the world is going nowadays with global warming, terrorism, world powers, would you like to change a past event that could change todays history?

2. Soberbeah

Soberbeah Member

let Amsterdam be our leading industrial power

3. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

So todays world is the best it ever could amount to huh, is that what your saying?

4. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Nothnig at all, one small change in history could totaly alter the world as we know it.

sherman march likes this.
  5. Wond'ringAloud

Wond'ringAloud Member

Nothing! We should be learning from past mistakes, but we never do, so history keeps on repeating itself. So sad!

6. DQ Veg

DQ Veg JUSTYNA'S TIGER

That's even more intelligent than what I had planned to say, soo...never mind....

7. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

The fact it started?

8. rg paddler

rg paddler Senior Member

If I could I would have distracted Cyndi Lauper just at the moment she had the inspiration to write the song 'girls just wanna have fun' - I feel disgruntled from just mentioning the title.Sorry I thought of it in actual fact

9. Supermegaman

Supermegaman Member

weed being legal in the us and we invented cool space ships and there were two moons instead of one and that jesus was mexican and jimmy hendrix stayed alive and that my family had a marijuana crop and that bush was never in the white and some other stuff too...

10. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

I would change the fact that Hitler was ever born.

Bilby likes this.
  11. *ariana*

*ariana* Member

me too...that's what I'd change...
    I'd say in general I'd agree with Wond'ringAloud, that you shouldn't change anything but learn from the bad things that have happened, but in this case I don't think people ever will - with all those dictatorships that still exist in the world...with dictatorships there's always the danger that if this one person, the leader has some threatening ideas, the others are powerless to stop him from carrying out his ideas...at least, that's my opinion...
    and besides the fact that only because of him so many people had to die, it's just sad to see that now many people seem to think bad of Germany and its inhabitants, that they they seem to think even my generation consists of skinheads and racists...
    I've already encountered some people with the opinion....and usually one of the first questions, when you're in a froeign country, is :"what do you think about adolf hitler??" (imagine, one of my friends even heard this in france!!, I mean, we're like living one hour by car from the border...)
    that's so sad...

12. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Ariana,
    I've never been to Germany so I'm not even going to try and pretend
    I know how it feels to live where you do. But I can totally relate
    to the stupid questions some people ask. What do they expect
    you to say ? "Oh Hitler was a saint" ? I have a chat friend that
    I've known for several years. He is from Germany. He is one
    of the most peace loving, happy, non-violent people I know.
    There are good people and bad in all countries. And one
    of my pet peeves is how people question others as if we
    were running these countries. It's like I always have said,
    I don't care for politics...I think the majority of politicians
    are dirty. I've heard so many people talk down about
    my country when no doubt, their government
    has done things they don't even know about.
    Gheeze...I'm rambling on...but I do agree...As
    long as there are dictators in this world,
    no one will be free.

13. Flight From Ashiya

Flight From Ashiya Senior Member

Stop Sir Walter Raleigh from demonstrating to Queen Elizabeth the inhaling of smoke from burnt tobacco leaves. [​IMG]

Bilby likes this.
  14. experimenting youth

experimenting youth Member

If I could change anything only one thing I would change poverty to no poverty and whats worse is its still going on, on a very large scale, and the average person in MEDC's (more economicaly developed countries) have more power to change it. so hopeful soon it will and i'll be able to say I helped stop it. For you to help change it look at my sig

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i would chainge the edge that ever enabled there to be a greek empire that enabled there to be a roman empire. in that way christianity would never have been turned to the dark side of militance, the library at alexandria would never have been burned, minoen crete would never have fallen, the crete centered peaceful mediteranian sphere of influence and the la tene and britan co centered western europe sphere of influence would have been the peaceful, nonfanatical 'super powers' of what we now instead call the mid evil middle ages. without the fanatacism that defacto repressed the evolution of science and tecnology for most of nearly a thousand years, working steam power would have become common by the late 1100's or early 1200's and we'd be a space faring civilization out among the stars by now.

=^^=
    .../\...

16. lazysunbird

lazysunbird Member

I wish the 60's never ended. What a beautiful world we'd be living in right now.

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

which part of the 60s do you wish never ended?

do you mean hitchiking everywhere and not worrying about a lot of everyday things and free rock concerts in the park, a perfect strainger handing you a lit joint and telling you to take a hit and pass it on?

yah there was a lot of cool stuff about the 60s. but there was also nixxon in the white house, vietnam, ghetto riots, people being abused by authority for peacfuly objecting to outrage. a lot of the same things you are probably finding wrong with what is going on now, at least i know i do.

there WAS a spirit of mellowness though, among alternative young people, and you didn't have to be that young, statements about not trusting anyone over 30 aside, there were people who were a part of it who were then too.

there WERE people being hated for being mellow, but there were people being mellow too.

really the only thing the 'ended' that spirit, and only in a sense, in the sense you don't feel it so much any more, was the ragun khomanie shinnanigan ousted the improbable and unexpected myracal of carter.

international capitol economics could have collapsed then, and probably should have been allowed to, but we wouldn't have gotten these computers and this internet if it had. not for a few more decades anyway.

and i have to admit i so wanted them. but then i also DIDN'T want the way so much of the public transportation that existed in 1960 to be so far nearly gone by the end of the 80s.

it was a trade. but yes i'd rather have the spirit of mellowness, the interurban, AND the internet.

and i believe if it wasn't for aggressiveness having become romantacised some time back in the european middle ages we would have them, and the stars besides.

=^^=
    .../\...

18. revolution_time

revolution_time Member

that JFK was never assassinated. that was really the beginning of the end of America.

19. Charise

Charise Naked to the Cosmos

My sentiments exactly.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

he was shot by accident with a gun intended to protect him and ozwald didn't have a damd thing to do with it, though he may well have had opportunity and supposedly motive. but the fatal shot didn't come from the tenth floor of a building which he may not even have been on at the time it happened.

but that wasn't the BEGINING of the end for america. mccarthyism was. at least the begging of the crap we've got now.

but even that may not have been the begining of the end of what america wouldhave couldhave shouldhave been.

presidents jackson and tyler and indigenous genocide may have been. or even the begining was itself the begining of the end.

people start dying by mico-milimiters as soon as they start living. perhaps nations do too.

but i still think you're looking way too short term to find underlying causes.

it goes all that way back to christianity having been born in a roman empire and that goes back to there even having been a roman empire.

rome and sparta and the romantacizing of aggressiveness; that's where humanity screwed up.

=^^=
    .../\...

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.