one of the saddest stories I've read

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Luxiebow, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

2. fricknfrack

fricknfrack Member

sad- but i hate to say it like its going to come across -doesn't surprise me . Typical dog. My FIL was a dog trainer for many years and those dogs are very aggressive. I would never have a dog around my child neither a cat at that.

3. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

That is horrible. I blame the grandparents who were looking after him. The dogs shouldn't have been around him. I will not have a dog when I have children.

4. marysoul

marysoul Member

:eek::sad::sad::sad:

5. Traceroni.

Traceroni. Senior Member

I pretty much agree with this. The grandmother should have had her eye on the kid, it being so young not to mention in a house with dogs. Even if they didn't have a violent tendency, they can't processes it like we can, they probably thought it was a toy or something.

Also, why was the baby unattended within the open reach of dogs?

6. sarahrei

sarahrei ~Lover~

It's not the dogs breed, it's dogs in general. Working at the SPCA I saw plenty of dogs that are considered "great family dogs" act strangely around children. Infact, I've been bitten by a golden retreaver, which is apparently fantastic around children.

The fact is that dogs communicate with body language, and children can do alot of movements that are considered threatening to a dog (i.e. grabbing around the neck, which is something a pack leader would do to a young pack member to let them know that they had stepped out of line, or something a young male would do to challenge a pack leader) it doesn't help that children are face level with a dog.

The best thing to do is to only have dogs around children whilst they are on leash and WATCHED, no matter what the breed is. Pit Bulls are actually GREAT dogs, and NOT prone to agression when trained properly.

The only reason why that baby died is because the grandparents were totally irresponsible and left a BABY with a WILD ANIMAL which when it comes down to it, are what dogs are.

Just my $.2

7. jgirl

jgirl Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

This is the reason I am terrified when even the "nicest" dog is near my children. My stepson was mauled in the face when he was 18 months old by the indoor dog "that would never hurt a soul" while his mother was next to him. IMO, a child should NEVER be left unattended around a dog... they are animals, and react by instinct. You cannot fault the dog. Very sad indeed...poor baby.

8. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

well, you gotta remember, mama dogs aren't exactly gentle with their babies when their babies misbehave. they're not people. they're dogs.

9. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

I know the grandmother obvioulsy did a stupid stupid thing by leaving the baby along w/ the dog. I would never leave mine w/ an dog or cat. Anything that could jump up and hurt the baby no matter how long I've known the animal and how much I trust it. But I think this story isn't about the dog it's about this beautiful little baby who so quickly lost it's life. what struck me is that I'm a parent, and everyday as parents we make mistakes because were only human. it just shows how precious life is. how helpless little babies are. it scared me how a mistake could end. every night when I got to bed it crosses my mind that that my baby could die. it would be the most destroying thing. that poor baby and his poor parents. I realli feel for them. how could you recover from something like that?