Once again, the religious right manages to piss everyone off...

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Amanda N, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

2. Disarm

Disarm Member

hahaha. I got a better quote from focus on the family

Dr James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, said in a statement on Thursday
    http://www.xtramsn.co.nz/entertainment/0,,12131-4038140,00.html

These people are nut jobs.

3. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

this makes me feel phisically sick...

4. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

I saw that article the other day, and had myself a good laugh. I say let them keep this crap up. The more they do the less seriously they will be taken by society.

5. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

"Tinky Winky, the purse-toting purple Teletubbie, was in 1999 declared a homosexual role model by Rev. Jerry Falwell."

Jerry Falwell also wants you to, "Blow them away in the name of Christ."

Anyone who suggests that you murder someone in God's name knows nothing of God.

6. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

The thing is that god's message is down to intrepertation... and indeed a lot of people feel that they NEED to kill in god's name (look at bin laiden).

This is one of the reasons I have such a hard time believeing in god.. if there was one, his message would be universal... but it's not... therefore, he can't exist.

anyway, that's getting off topic..

7. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

His message is universal, but without knowing him, one will not understand. God's message was not meant to be interpreted. That is why Jesus told his apostles to wait for the gift of his Spirit. His spirit is our decipherment in God's word.

8. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

i'm sorry, but i just can't believe that... if there was a god, and he had a message.... he would paint it in the sky for us all to read... You say it's not a case of intrepertation, so why does everyone interpert is diffrently?

I'm sorry, but i truly feel you are diluding(sp) yourself

9. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Amanda... i can see where you coming from, but as someone who sees Hid message as universal and trancendental, the message is there in all of the Books...

>Jesus-tolerance teachings, simplicity, peace, love, devotion...etc
    >Buddha- simplicity, tolerance, peace, love...etc.
    >Mohammad- peace, love to others [even of differing faiths], devotion...etc
    >Krsna- tolerance, peace, knoledge, devotion, love, simpoicity...etc

if you look at the basic teachigns, and not get cought up on things like "I am the only way" [which He is cause i beleive that God is all of these, what i would call Manifestatins] all teach of the same things...

im not trying to convert or anything, but ya, they can be the same teachings

10. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

and to get back on topic, this is stupid...it was bad enough that they made ernie and bert not share a room anymore...they aren't gay...homosexuals aren't trying to convert little kids to a cause or anything...some right wingers get to me

11. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

But these are all people... human people... they might think they are speaking for god (or maybe pretended they were talking for god to make people listen).. but at the end of the day, these are all human inspired ideas.

The thing is, it's fair enough you go listing all these people with messages of love.. but what about people like Hitler, Bin Laiden, etc... - GW Bush? All people who claim to be doing god's work, but all promote messages of hate and death...

sorry, going off topic again.. but you must see where I'm coming from?

12. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

well played Amanda...

13. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

'

That is why I so animately discuss the topic of false Christians. One can say, and even claim to know the Lord, but have no idea what he is about. People who have to wear a cross around their neck, or walk around proclaiming, "By the way, I am a Christian," are the people that I am speaking of. One simply does not and should not have to announce to the world that they are a Christian. If someone believes in Christ, their actions should reflect that.

As far as Christ and painting things in the sky, this is why. God has a message, but not everyone wants to hear his message. When you desire to know Christ, he will reveal himself to you. As a fellow human being, I have love for you, however, if you do not give any implication that you want to get to know me, would I follow you around and try to be your friend? I was raised in a God-fearing home, and I always believed he was there. Yet, there were still issues in my life. Until I actively began to seek him, I did not receive his message. Once I had a desire for him, he opened up my eyes to his mysteries. I have a relationship with him and can now understand what his message is.

Does that sound like crap to you? Of course is does. You will not understand God, why he came to the earth in the form of Christ, and what his message is until you truly desire him.

14. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

You're still not listening to what I'm saying... how do you know that you're correct, and that, say, hitler wasn't? You've got nothing but your own self belief to back up what you claim...

Let me ask you something, you claim to be all about love and forgiveness, etc.. Would you still be that same person if "jesus" hadn't entered your life? I'm guessing that you would... so what diffrence does jesus made?

Please don't view this as a personal attack on yourself, and i'm not trying to make you lose your faith... faith can (in the right hands) be a wonderful thing... i'm just trying to show you and explain to you my point of view, and that just because someone does not believe in god or the devine, it does not make them a bad person.

"people are compassionate by nature...left to their own devices [they] will show this compassion without expecting a reward."

Sure, you get a few bad apples (hitler, bin laiden, etc..), but mostly we're all a good lot of people.

15. thumontico

thumontico Member

Epiphany do you think it is possible that everything that you claim to be subjective proof of Jesus' love and desire for us to love him is merely a product of your own imagination and desire for meaning in your life?

16. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

What he said...

17. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

18. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

no what? (and please feel free to explain your answer.. otherwise it's worthless because no one will understand what you think the way you think, regardless of if we agree with you or not).

19. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i was just trying to tick you off, actually. it amused me. ;P

20. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

LOL, fair enough :p - bring it on sister, i've got more than enough left for you too :D