On The Road

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by Dandelion_Blood, May 10, 2004.

1. Dandelion_Blood

Dandelion_Blood Gremlin

That is such an amazing book, i litrally had to force myself to stop reading it so i could sleep and eat.... its an amazing book, it makes you yurn to travel, to explore to experience and it teaches you so much. Anyone else read it?

I wish i owned a copy, infact soon as i have the money i will do and i will lend it out for all to read because.... man is it a good book!

Time.. there is no time?

You'll get there in the end.... don't worry.

2. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I read it for the first time when I was around 15 and back then it totally blew my mind. Then I read it a few years later and it had lost all it's magic. My taste in books has changed so much, now I prefer reading books that are a bit more challenging I guess. I still like the spirit of On the road tho.

3. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

'Twas the first peice of beat literature i ever emersed myself in.... and i've never looked back!

4. sassure

sassure Member

I read that, and then DHARMA BUMS. After Kerouac, you'll be ready for Henry Miller......

5. Kelly

Kelly Member

I read it a year or two ago but I would like to read it again in the near future. It's a gread book.

6. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I've read it twice and have my own copy. So yes I agree, great book.

TTFN

Sage

7. gonzo

gonzo Member

If you like On The Road, these titles may also be enjoyable

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe

The Further Inquiry - Ken Kesey

On the Bus: The complete guide to the Legendary Trip of Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters and the Birth of the Counterculture - Paul Perry, Michael Schwartz, Neil Ortenberg, & Ken Babbs

The First Third & Other Writings - Neal Cassady

The Holy Goof: A Biography of Neal Cassady - William Plummer

Neal Cassady has always been one of my heros :)

The answer is never the answer. Whats really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer - they think that they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer. - Ken Kesey

8. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

it's one of my ultime favorite books. i couldn't put it down. it's like you can feel his words (i'm not on acid.. don't worry). they just speak to you. i don't know how to explain it.

9. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

Whoaa everyone says its a good book...but i'd like to read it for myself...you can just rent it at the library right? I just started getting into reading!!

10. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

Not many book's have altered how i think or changed my Life in a Dramatic Fashion..this one did.

11. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

It is a good read, but nothing spectacular.

THe language fits Kerouac, but it is not mind blowing.

It describes some aspects of the beat generation very well, and it was indeed an interesting one, but it is not one of Kerouac's best works.

12. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

I'm reading it now. I'm about halfway done and it's really good. I actually started reading it whilst on a road trip from Illinois to Tennessee. Whoo!
    BTW- Is Neal Cassady "Dean"'s real name? That's what my dad told me and he loves Kerouac.

13. Marley-Sunshine

Marley-Sunshine Member

I read it a few months ago, and I agree, it was definitely an amazing book. I had to force myself to stop a lot as well, especially during class, or when I needed to sleep.

14. Marley-Sunshine

Marley-Sunshine Member

Yes, Dean Moriarty is Neal Cassady.

Here's a website that will tell you all the nicknames of each person in Kerouac's books: [url="www.charm.net/~brooklyn/lists/kerouacnames.html]Jack Kerouac Character Alias Key[/url].

15. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

It took me ages to get through 'On The Road'. I think becasue I was expecting it to be (as most have said here) this wonderful, insightful, life changing read. I was half way through and still waiting for something to happen. His travels bored the hell out of me!

I'll pick it up again one day, maybe, and give it another shot. But as of now it's the most over-rated book I've ever encountered.

And I'll go ahead and make the face so you don't have to: :eek:

16. Dandelion_Blood

Dandelion_Blood Gremlin

why do you feel it was so boring and the ':eek:' face is not needed... everyones allowed to liek and dislike things... i am not really shocked... just interested to see what makes it so boring for you? i guess in some ways people hype it a lot... but... i think it desverves it... personally... how ever thats just what i think...
    :D

17. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

Hiya Dand - It was a good long while ago when I read it, and I think I found it boring because he didn't seem to be having too good a time himself. Just seemed he was bumming around and getting into no great adventures on his way at all.

I mean, even the party celebrations up in the snowy hills was over in no time with just a few beers to speak of. And I don't remember any great writing about what he was seeing along the way either, places, scenary and whathaveyou.

Like I say, reading again today I may find it better, but I doubt I'll ever find it a brilliant read.

18. Melody

Melody Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

My friend started to research him, so I read a long a bit too, and I can't wait to read it this summer, when I get a bit more time and a bit more money too.

19. naturegoddess69

naturegoddess69 Member

I bought the book a few months ago from suggestions on the forums. Haven't read it yet. I'll read it when I'm finished my current read.

20. serra

serra tentacle girl

Personally i didn't really like it! :eek:

i thought i really would, but i just don't dig jack's style of writing. i found it really disjointed and choppy and hard to get into. i own both dharma bums and on the road, and i never finished either of them....