"On the Road" the movie

Discussion in 'Movies' started by rjhangover, Aug 26, 2013.

1. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Just saw it last night. It was supposed to be about the Jack Kerouac book, but is seems to have perverted his work. Most people that read a book first, don't think a movie lives up to the book. Has anyone else read the book and seen the movie? Thoughts?

2. Beca012

Beca012 Member

I watched 5 minutes then turned it off. I read the book and absolutely loved it. The characters deviated from the original characters so much in my opinion. I didn't want to f*ck up my wonderful book experience </3

3. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member

I stuck it out for the duration. Not that impressed.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

this movie was horrible. It wasn't really a great premise for a movie in the first place - the book has no discernible plot, which works for the book because Jack Kerouac's style of writing is so frenzied that it carries the reader along for the adventure, but movies generally need a plot.

Other than that, what really bugged me the most was the portrayal of Dean Moriarty, aka Neal Cassidy. This is a guy who is famous among the beat generation and the hippies for no real reason other than his personality. He's supposed to be completely manic and magnetic. In the book and in real life he never stopped talking. He was a pure force of energy. The actor didn't portray this at all. It was pathetic.