On Obama's inauguration

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pressed_Rat, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

No, I am not a fan of Alex Jones or his sensationalistic ways, though I think he summed up Obama quite well during his ten minute interview with Russia Today.

http://www.infowars.com/?p=7249

2. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

I don't understand. Why do you continue to criticize Alex Jones, Prison planet, etc. Yet you like what those sources have to say?

Is that supposed to make what they say somehow believable all of a sudden?

It's like saying "I'm not a fan of George Bush or Dick Cheney, but his views sum things up pretty well for me so it could for you too."

Eck. I'd rather eat garbage.

3. Pressed_Rat

Alex Jones is a sensationalist and fear-monger. However, that will not stop me from posting an article or video from him or his websites when I think there is something worth reading or listening to.

I don't like the mainstream media, either, yet I will still post articles if I think they have some relevance or importance. Does it mean I agree with everything they say? Of course not.

4. Aristartle

You admit then, that you agree with a large part of what they say then, of course.

btw, I would actually like to eat a garbage plate some day.

5. Pressed_Rat

Sure, Alex speaks a lot of truth. It's the way he presents the information that I don't like. He actually discredits other people who research this stuff because they tend to associate this information with Alex's sensationalist, frothing-at-the-mouth antics. But 99% of what he says is documented. Alex was rather reserved in this interview (compared to how he usually is) and I like what he said, so I posted it. I didn't ask for anyone to agree with it, either.

6. Aristartle

I know that. But it was presented as if you don't endorse the information and remain unbiased from the source, when in fact you agree with 99% of what he says.

(Seems that we are both criticizing the presentation of information. Heh.)

7. Pressed_Rat

Obviously if I didn't agree with what he was saying, I wouldn't have posted it. It's just that I always seem to have to defend myself against accusations from certain people who would no doubt accuse me of being an Alex Jones worshipper if I didn't state upfront that I don't particularly care for him. So I made it clear upfront that I do not care for him as a person, and am actually quite suspicious of his motives when it comes to pushing his merchandise, among other things I won't mention. Like I said, I posted the video because I agree with what was said, not because I am an Alex Jones fanboy as someone like Hiptastic would no doubt accuse me of being in his desperate and ongoing attempts to marginalize me.

8. Aristartle

If you can't endorse the source, why endorse the information?

Seems like you need to defend yourself whenever you do such.

But enough horse play. I'm whipped.

9. Pressed_Rat

Why does that even matter? When I post an article or video from CNN, does it mean I endorse CNN? No, of course not. It's about the content of the material. There are plenty of sources I don't particularly like, but I use them anyway if I find certain material to be of value.

I need to defend myself because of trolls who come in here soley to attack me and derail and attempt to discredit my threads. Really it's only one person. I figured instead of waiting for the person to respond with their usual, predictable criticisms, I would simply mention it upfront to avoid any latter hijacking of my thread, which has already been taken off topic trying to explain something I thought would be fairly straightforward to most people.

10. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Someone have a transcript of what he said I am on dialup.

11. Aristartle

Oh. So you pick and choose what information suits you, so that you can make a collage of assembled bits deemed to be valuable?

Come'on. CNN is biased. You can't neglect the fact that you endorse information from questionable sources.

And that's my point, really. Defend away.

12. Pressed_Rat

What isn't "questionable" to you, other than the sources that you support? All sources are going to be biased in some way or another. Everyone has their own opinions, too. That's reality.

13. Aristartle

I like it when you use the Independent. I always read those links. I like it when you use NYTimes, CBC, BBC, and Al-Jazeera to cite something.

Those are the links that I can think of off the top of my head. The over-saturation of prison planet, alex jones stuff, WND is like tasting really bad medicine to attempt to read. Those sources have a hard-lined agenda and little to 0 fact checkers since they can post just about anything as website content and sell it as news.

I respect the journalist profession deeply, and I think on occassion some of the citations you use discredit and mock their very profession.

There are writers and journalists that I respect. Can you even name a journalist from prison planet or WND that you respect?

14. Pressed_Rat

So it boils down to personal taste and opinion. What you like isn't necessarily what everyone else likes, and vice-versa. I don't feel I have to have some sort of an affinity for the websites whose links I post, as I have used and cited sources from across the political spectrum.

I am generally not a fan of "journalists" persay, as most of the mainstream "career journalists" write what they're told to write. When it comes to some fairly "mainstream" journalists I can at least respect, I would say Robert Fisk and John Pilger are quite good when it comes to reporting on the brutality of war.

15. Aristartle

Well that's nice. I'm a big fan of Fisk, like you already know.

Journalistic style and reputation are important to me. It might not be the same for you, and that's why I like to read credible sources that I have found to be capable of presenting a truth in real light from across the political spectrum.

If you have no respect for journalism as a profession, then I don't know why any of the material you cite should be taken at face value. It's not a convincing argument you have in the slightest.

16. Pressed_Rat

But what's credible to you might not be credible to everyone else. That's what I am saying. Everyone has their own opinion about what "credible" is.

And who said anything should be taken at face value? I make it clear that NOTHING should be taken at face value. As a matter of fact, I have repeated numerous times, like a broken record player, that nobody should take ANYTHING at face value. People need to use their own discernment when deciding what to believe/trust and what not to believe/trust.

Your arguments are very feeble.

17. Aristartle

Your arguments have cooties.

The matter is about presented facts, how a formulated opinion is presented to the reader. I enjoy informed commentaries on whatever the sources are, but if the information is purposefully presented and packaged for me to swallow and leaves opposition viewpoints unprovoked by way of the lack of counter-facts or counter-arguments, then it's not a journalistic piece to me, it's monologue journalism. Hegemonic dialectic. Which is why I respect stylistic journalism that uses facts instead of fear, collusion instead of conspiracy, synthesis instead of derivation.

18. MrFrosty

MrFrosty Banned

aka the main conspiracy theorist overall - what if mccain would have won? what would lames be saying? samething or nothing?

19. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

We'd all be admiring Palin's legs.

20. MrFrosty

MrFrosty Banned

lol.. alex jones makes millions off these scandals and conspiracies. They coulda elected Jesus and he would be telling you that Jesus plans to relocate Hell to middle america.