OMG! I just spent an hr talking to a robot!

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by groovecookie, Mar 10, 2008.

1. groovecookie

groovecookie Member

This morning i got an im from "someone" supposedly responding to a personal add i put on the internet. I talked to this "person" who had sent a pic of some fairly attractive woman and started noticing that this "person" lacked flexability and responsiveness in the dialog.

So I asked "her" if she was real. "She" said "I am real." and asked me what i meant. I told her whatt i meant and asked "her" what "she" thought about that--(a question only a human would be able to answer).

"She" said "i am not a machine,.. here i will send a pic."
    I said 'don't send a pic, answer the question'.
    I got a brb and that was the end of it.

Maybe this is an old joke to those of you more experienced with the internet, but i'm just learning about shit like this...i didn't even know, though i did, fortunately suspect that they could pull that kind of crap, but now i know.

My guess is that i'll have to start responding right off the bat to --shall we say,--entities on the web with unique and unexpected questions to see if it's a real person or a robot.

Anyone else know a better way to filter out the soulless time wasters?

2. FinnishButterfly

FinnishButterfly JennyJelly

yeah that usually never happens lol

3. erizoe

erizoe Member

she probably wasn't a bot and you blew a good chance... =p

but if you are curious, look at the timestamps, some (many) bots will take the same amount of time to respond every message.

another trick is to do a quick google search of their screen name. many bots will have sites either dedicated to or referencing them.

hope i helped ya =)

4. groovecookie

groovecookie Member

Thanks erizoe. That's good to know. I'm pretty sure she was a bot though. She ignored all my questions and when I insisted she answer one that a bot wouldn't be able to answer, she blew away...just like a bot. It kind of reminds me of that movie "blade runner" where the hero was trying to tell the "sims" from the real people.

5. Adderall_Assasin

Adderall_Assasin Senior Member

your sig pic is 1000000x's better