olive oil

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by la Principessa, Sep 5, 2008.

1. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

ive seen it mentioned on this forum before. i just thought id share.

first off, i got a little spray bottle and put some olive oil in it. then i split a few vitamin e caplets into it and shook that up. Then I put a small amount in my hair and worked it in, left it on for 20 minutes. i used a very liberal amount of pantene to get the oil out. i combed it with my fingers and rinsed. no conditioner. i wanted to use as little product as possible and stick to natural things.

anyway ill stop boring you guys to death. i just wanted to say that my hair turned out really soft and nice curls. even thought it was humid and gross out, my hair was still manageable. so anyone with curly locks like me should try this out :)

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

if you want to go natural, you are better off using conditioner-only wash and ditching that chemical soup called Pantene.
    Vitamin E is lecithin, If I'm remembering my chemistry right, and it is pretty processed itself.
    for something of similar viscosity, look to jojoba oil or walnut oil.

3. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Even if the conditioner is by the same brand? would a natural soap bar (like oatmeal soap) be good to use for the hair in place of shampoo after the oil or no? and would i be able to purchase jojoba oil from a health food store like Whole Foods Market, because that's the only one nearby I know of.

Thanks for your input.:)

4. therevelator

therevelator Member

speaking of olive oil, i heard it was a great, natural skin moisturizer. is that true???

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

sort of. It is a touch heavy, so oily or breakout prone skin might not like it.
    But it does absorb, and it does moisturize.

6. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

I use olive oil to do hair and scalp treatments. I first wash my hair and rinse with very hot water, then wring and dry it out with a towel. I pour a bit of olive oil in my hand and rub it into my hair and on my scalp, then put on a bathing cap and let stand for at least 30 minutes before shampoo and the usual routine. I do this twice a month or when needed, it makes my hair smooth, strong, shiny, healthy, the ends don't split and it grows thicker.

7. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

I might try it, at the moment I use a lot of sea salt which has actually helped the condition of my hair.

8. noela

noela Members

do you spray it in your hair after its wet and washed in the shower? or rather dry then wash it out?:confused:

9. Dancing_Sun

Dancing_Sun Member

Sea salt? I would love to know more!
    I wash my hair with baking soda and rinse/condition well with many different types of rinses (ex. rosemary, chamomile or horsetail tea, applecider vineger and olive oil once and a while)

10. ravenflowermoon

ravenflowermoon Guest

I heard mixing castille soap with water and olive oil was fantastic, and I also heard that washing your hair with a baking soda/water mix was good so long as you only wash your hair every four or five days.

11. Kista

Kista Member

If you want to use healthier or better product, ditch the Pantene, or whatever worst crap ever (since its big brand). Use a tea shampoo, their PH balanced and natural. As for olive oil, your hair will get used it ober time, wash it out with cold water (cold water keeps the hair curicles closed and doesnt dry out like hot) When you wash it, pretend as if you're straching your head...

12. haha_wintaaa

haha_wintaaa Member

Hmm, yeah. Try to avoid anything with sulfates, chemicals, stuff like that. Your best bet is to stop washing your hair with shampoo.
    Baking soda works well (like another person said, as long as you don't wash it a lot).
    And yeah.. best to ditch vitamin e.
    Honestly, and I think a lot of others would agree, your body's natural oils will do your hair the best :)

13. shailly

shailly Banned

I will try this out and post my review but can I omit conditioner from this procedure? I am sick of conditioners.

14. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

You could replace the conditioner by spraying a tiny bit of olive oil in your hair while it's still humid to moisturize it. I still use conditioner though, cause my bi-monthly treatment wouldn't be enough to keep my hair smooth all the time.