Old World cluttered with www.com signs

Discussion in 'Globalization' started by rg paddler, Jun 8, 2006.

1. rg paddler

rg paddler Senior Member

suddenly I find old barns and country estates overgrown with ivy and adorned with rusty old gates have www.com signs everywhere - is there no escape from the internet? no longer can I escape.perhaps i should stop fighting the new revolution and accept technology is here to stay

2. Charise

Charise Naked to the Cosmos

No, there's not. Actually, this is my first computer, which I got at the end of last year. At the time, I felt like I was just about the last person in the country that wasn't on the net. Now I meet people all the time that aren't on the internet, so I feel like a real sophisticate. The internet, however, is the wave of the future, and you can either ride the wave or live in a cave. That's pretty much the way I see it.

3. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

You should be pleased, RG. The net provides a mailbox that needs no paper. That saves trees and helps the ivy to continue growing over the rusty old gate.;)

4. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes Banned

Problem is that the worldwide consumption of electricity went up by 40% in the last decade due to an increase in network integrated technology, and the use of rechargeable batteries for mobile technology that need a powerpack in
    the mains supply. Theres no way of compensating on trees without adding
    more carbons. Always on broadband - the biggest way to consume more !!!!
    As we type - each keystroke is another 10cm of ice sheet melted

5. rg paddler

rg paddler Senior Member

Maybe the MCH is the way of the future (Micro Compact Home) - it runs off solar power,has built in internet connections and can be transported/sited anywhere

http://www.microcompacthome.com/

6. Logan9998

Logan9998 Member

I don't believe that. Do you have a source?

7. littleplanet

littleplanet Member

dotcoms and whirlywides...
    romance in the future:

2 people make eyes at each other for exactly 3.5 seconds (in between furious cell-phoning and blackberrying) exchange cell numbers and www addresses -
    at which point everything that continues from there is the manipulation of media.

In developing nations - people actually still write letters. A charming occupation.

Apparently in England, around the time of the Bronte sisters, postal delivery in London happened about 6 times a day. (this was pre-telephone of course.)
    People could send notes back and forth all day long.

I seriously doubt computers generate less paper than was consumed prior to their proliferation.

The "wave of the future" might more resemble a tsunami, than we can possibly imagine.

As a medium, the net sort of resembles commercial television - in a way.
    It can be a great research tool, or endless infotainment - and just about everything in between.

I've noticed in the press, and many recent publications - a marked increase in typos and out of context wording (spell check does not catch a lot of these errors.)
    Proof reading can make one climb the walls...but it used to be a pretty standard literary skill.
    For all the electronic "out of body" communication we do - there's no communication like a sunny smile from a perfect stranger, as far as I'm concerned.

8. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes Banned

It was a forceful overstatement to make a point that is essentially true - its true
    Consumption of electricity in the developed world is up 40% in a decade
    and that means global warming - the facts are open to debate on what it means in real terms and I accept you point its not an accurate figure =
    but it is a truthful picture to some degree or another