Old Guys; Step Up to the Plate

Discussion in 'Global Warming' started by hacker.pizza, Jun 20, 2008.

1. hacker.pizza

hacker.pizza Member

Hey old people, you need to start talking about what things were like 40 years ago. How have things changed? Don't let the media rewrite history. You know the history of global warming better than the younger generation. Bring it out while you still can.

2. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

im not old enough to go back 40 years but i do know that from 1972 to 1980 they were warning of a coming ice age..

dont believe the hype...

3. hacker.pizza

hacker.pizza Member

70's? Geeze I thought it went back to the 60's or earlier... As you can see I'm not old enough to go back that far either, but I do know a few who are, and think they need to start telling the younger people.

4. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

as i said im only 43 and you asked for what we remember...

i remember the coming ice age hype from the time i was old enough to grasp it till reagan took office..

as far as out right climate change.. i guess i see the winters being not quite as harsh since the mid 90's but its not enough to change my skepticism on the global warming hype. especially since there are just as many scientists standing against global warming as support it..
    the only difference is the ones supporting it have the mainstream media that is controlled by the elite of this world behind them..

all the more reason for me to be a skeptic....

5. Chris Jury

Chris Jury Member

Oh good lord--I don't know why people repeat such nonsense. There were a handful of news articles during the 70's that suggested global cooling was possible. They also pointed out we'll eventually head toward another ice age--we're due for the onset of one in ~40,000-60,000 years, due to natural climatic variation. During the 70's the number of articles that suggested climate warming was likely outnumbered those that suggested cooling by a margin of 10 to 1. However, the total number of articles published suggesting warming, cooling, or inability to predict during the entire decade of the 70's is less than what gets published EVER MONTH on climatology nowadays. The technology just wasn't there in terms of computing power to make good predictions. Computers had to catch up before really solid predictions could be made (though they could put together rough scenarios).

Suggesting that was any sort of agreement about immenent cooling in the 70's is an attempt to rewrite history, at best.

Chris

6. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

In the 70's, the greatest concern about global temperature change was related to a 2+ year long Nuclear Winter following an exchange of nuclear missiles.

7. aleCcowaN

aleCcowaN Member

I agree.

By the times of the dawning, heyday and dusking of the Age of Aquarius, one of the major concerns about climate was a Nuclear Winter, as MikeE told. I remember we had the only glacier that was advancing instead of retreating, Perito Moreno, in Patagonia. By the '70s the "fact" was all the glaciers retreating slowly, but there was some speculation about a new glaciation, mainly because system dynamics was developing and some scenarios concerning Nuclear Winter played with the idea of such phenomenon triggering a new glaciation.

Remember that it also was the time of The Poseidon Adventure (1972) which began a new movie genre, followed by Earthquake (1974, with sensoround, a gimmick, that was such a crap!) and The Towering Inferno. With this new genre and the sudden appetite for good screen plots, all possible natural disasters became publicized.

Now, we live in a whole new era in human history, when rampant individualism has climbed to the top of popular logic. In this era of present tense, all traditional structures are relative and mainly decorative. Within these developments, there's an epidemics of blatant epistemological hedonism (if it pleases you X to be true, then believe X is true). That's why there are such a mass of, call it people, discussing about viruses, mutations, aliens, and all sort of things that excites imagination and triggers little shots of adrenalin, more addictive than pot. Within this human subset there are people who thinks of Global Warming as Doomsday and other people who thinks its all a prank driven by pseudo-scientist trying to catch attention and exploit the moron. The last group is mainly formed by hedonistic fellows that will not change their personal behavior and chase for pleasure (this includes "natural" styles and even Francis of Azzizi like guys, as money, power or sex are not the sole sources of pleasure), no matter how well argued may be a subject.

Global Warming is here. We have to cope with it. Some things are impossible to solve. Other things can be avoided or at least tempered. There will be a huge bill. Some people is trying to avoid their share by an abracadabra of "they contradict each other", "not even they agree, then I'm gonna lease the SUV", "it won't kill us and it raises the GDP", and similar crud. Sometimes I prefer these people said "I don't care, après moi, le déluge!". They would be better people if they said so. But, as with all the human things, looks are more important than fundamentals.

[You're welcome to correct my English]

8. The_Phantom

The_Phantom Member

I remember hearing about a coming ice-age back in the late '50s and '60s. Now, I'm hearing about how the sun is getting hotter, and that at some point in the future, because the sun will get that warm, no water will exist in liquid form, anywhere on earth, because it will all get boiled away. I remember other things too, like paying 17 cents a gallon for gasoline... Less than a dollar a gallon for milk... $8.50 / month for car insurance...

Of course, today, I'm hearing that the "Global Warming" is what will cause the coming Ice-age. I believe that will be the 8th or 9th one in the earth's history... What caused the last 7 or 8?