Old Catholic All Souls' Day Tradition...

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Jimbee68, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

People who adhere to old Catholic traditions are rare today. But mother and aunt used to talk about an old one done one the Eve of All Souls' Day (All Souls' Day is the day AFTER All Saints Day BTW—important distinction).

You typically lay out a white linen, a prayer book, and a candle. Then something important to your departed loved one—typically their favorite rosary. My aunt said in some places they lay out treats. Why would spirits eat?

Then you leave it alone for the night.

My aunt often pointed out you don't have to light the candle anymore. Yes, please don't. It's to help the departed find their way (they know the way already—trust me ;) ).

Anyone else ever do this? Or at least aware of the practice? I'm just curious.

soulcompromise likes this.
  2. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Couldn't help but note: it's tomorrow you know ;) .

3. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Fortunately, my parents were Catholic light. Not only did they not observe such rituals, but they regarded anybody who did as batshit crazy.!

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Not All Saints, but Catholic...

One thing when I was an adolescent that stood out to me was:

[​IMG]

---

This is the one place. This image... the candles lit.

This I share with my romance. The candles... devotion. Meaning. Sincerity. If I were to say the only place I belong, I'd say, "here".

---

My grandma prayed at one like this. She was never righteous or outspoken... she didn't thump the bible. She prayed though. Maybe she lit a candle to honor something or other.

When we honor someone that way, I think it reminds everyone around us of the true nature of faith.

I can see that grandma lit a candle. She knew God, knelt to pray, and that's all.

---

I recently wrote to my parents expressing and explaining where I am at with my faith. I am not Catholic anymore and they are devoutly Catholic, but I'm also old. They didn't write back, but I told them that spirituality is alive and well in my heart, and that they shouldn't worry I'm lost because I'm not.

---

Since I was young the day after Halloween has always been All Saints Day.

5. straightma1e

straightma1e Members

Grew up with neighbors who were C&E Catholics. The kids went to Catholic schools. They had rosary's and crosses hung from the rear view mirrors. The mother would often say "Holy Mary, Mother of God" when she got pissed at our antics. The father lived and died on the success of Notre Dame football. Wouldn't attend mass unless it was Christmas or Easter hence the reason I called them C&E Catholics. They did have a spot in their home, dining room, that was a bit of a shrine. A small table under a painting of Mary. There they would set up religious mementos for their different celebrations. I remember they changed it daily around Halloween. All Souls' Day must have been one of the things they remembered there.