ok, try this one: Carefree Sugarless Gum Contest

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by augidog, Aug 27, 2006.

1. augidog

augidog grateful guest

in the 70's, Care Free Gum held promo contests for high-schools around the country. the prize was a concert, in YOUR gymnasium, featuring the raspberries and another group.

my school, cheney tech. HS in manchester, ct. won a concert with the raspberries and rick springfield.

anyone else a winner? anyone else even remember it?
    ...did it really happen? ooh, now my head hurts...

2. Bluebird j

Bluebird j Member

I am amazed, to this day, that my school allowed the Raspberries to sing about "go[ing] all the way" to our class. There we were, just entering high school in the fall of '73, and our school was having folks sing to us about full fledged sex at age 13?:eek:

Go figure.

Anyway, Clarkstown South in Rockland New York was the locale. As I recall, the groups were Raspberries and Grass Roots.

(cannot open your jpg)

Here is a brief search of internet findings on the subject:

www.hodgens.net/uploads/music/RASPBERRIES.doc

Cheers

3. lookingformagic

lookingformagic Guest

I went to Lumen Cordium High School (all girls school in Bedford) we are remembering the Carefree Sugarless Gum Contest - was the Radio Station WIXY 1260 involved. WE won a jukebox & a concert too! Anyone remember more about this I think the year was 1970

4. lookingformagic

lookingformagic Guest

:eek:QUOTE=lookingformagic;6271434] I went to Lumen Cordium High School (all girls school in Bedford, Ohio) we are remembering the Carefree Sugarless Gum Contest - was the Radio Station WIXY 1260 involved. WE won a jukebox & a concert too, Thinking it was the Raspberries Anyone remember more about this I think the year was 1970!!!!!

Any help with this will be appreciated.

5. busyclevelandmom

busyclevelandmom Guest

Lumen won this contest, we won a concert with the Raspberries opening for the Grass Roots. The girls got in free but everyone else paid. We got to keep the profits. I think we bought a sign for the front of the school. We also got a jukebox. The two songs that were played over and over were Piece of my Heart by Janis Joplin and Midnight Confessions but none other than . . . the Grass Roots!

6. mama_t009

mama_t009 Guest

Yes I remember this. It was 1972 and Triton Central High School won a concert with the Grass Roots to come to our school. It was a blast!! I was in 6th grade and the reason we were allowed to be a part of this contest is because we sent in bunches and bunches of gum wrappers. :2thumbsup:

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well i graduated high school in 66 and i remember dentine being pretty much the only sugarless gum on the market that i knew anything about.

time and the tide wait for no chewing gum on the bedpost over night.

8. Bigrod80033

Bigrod80033 Members

I graduated from Bingham High School in 1974 and in the 70's we entered the Carefree Sugarless Gum Contest and won a concert from The Grass Roots. A very memorable concert that is still talked about to this day.

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Well... It is today. And you're talking about it... So, Yeah.

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i do remember the harlem globetrotters coming to our little highschool in the hills.

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  11. Dave Szczublewski

Dave Szczublewski Members

I was going to be a freshman at a small all boys high school in Toledo, Ohio by the name of Holy Spirit Seminary when the guys at the school won a concert that had Rick Springfield opening for The Raspberries. At 14 years old it was really cool to meet Rick Springfield as I as just learning the guitar, and for my 8th grade grad present, my parents had bought me a Fender Stratocaster. He was the first semi famous musician I had met up to that time. 44 years later, I still remember the concert and playing part of a song on his guitar. We are an unfortunate generation in the fact that photo and video documentation wasn't done much because of the expense of developing the film.

Amerijuanican likes this.
  12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I wish that I had Jessies girl....

rick springfield was big in the eighties,,,,i didnt realize he around in the seventies too

13. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

how about just old DOUBLE BUBBLE bubble gum
    full of sugar...good stuff

14. Jackiek

Jackiek Members

I went to an all girls school in Camden NJ and we won that contest. I remember cutting all those pieces of paper and writing all those Care Free entries. We sat close to the front row and screamed when we weren’t singing along.
    I still have the Raspberry pin we got but we were really excited to see the Grass Roots.

15. Kirk Freeman

Kirk Freeman Members

I went Berkner High School in Richardson, Tx... We won the Carefree concert and as a result Hall and Oates preformed a free concert in our Gymnasium.

16. Mikesterge

Mikesterge Newbie

My high school, Oak Hills, in Cincinnati won a Richard Marx concert in 1988. During the concert, someone grabbed his guitarist and started to pull him off stage, he grabbed onto an amp to try and save himself but he ended up falling to the ground and pulling the amp on top of him. They had to stop the show and paramedics arrived. He was ok but probably a bit shaken up.