ok so i'm a tool...

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Philth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Philth

Philth Member

hey i'm phil, i'm basically a massive tool of society and had my dreads permed at a saloon for extortionate amounts of cashish. basically i was talking with a friend of a friend with dreads and he basically told me that the place i went to (camden locks, camden) are really bad and as i already knew, horribly expensive, so i'm now at a nasty crossroads, the ppl at c-locks told me not to wash my hair but to come back to them every few months for a 'tidy up', my friend convinced me basically not to go back there ever again (and considering they're prices, he didnt need to try ahrd to convince me) so what do i do now?? i've had my dreads since early october and i can feel them fatting up but the ends are still very fine and loose. i figured i can't do much about this right now as my hair is pretty fine and i just have to wait for my dreads to fatten to the point where i can tie the loose ends into the dreads but what about care? camden locks told me not to worry about washing them and just to keep waxing and 'cementing' them with this insanely strong hold spray, whereas my friend told me to wash them with a bar of soap and crochet them all up afterwards. i've read a bit of stuff basically telling me not to wax them but what do you reckon i should do regarding washing them and generally caring for them in general? i had this idea in my mind that i could just care for them loosly until i go back to the place but i'm now aware that they are the devil incarnate and i just need a bit of advice as i'm kinda in this alone now - i don't really facny going back to rely on an 'expert' to maintain my dreads. sorry this post if huge and i'm obv a forum retard but any help would be so much appreciated :) peace xx

2. knattyk420

knattyk420 Member

wash wash wash them! Get all and any wax out with the deep cleaning method you will find on here. The ppl here are pretty cool and will help you out wow wish you had found this place before spending soo much cash

3. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Yeah. You're going to suffer massive verbal abuse, along with repeated shouts of 'WASH OUT THE WAX'. It's up to you, but I'd probably listen to them on the wax part. Clean them out and start fresh, either neglect, or have some friends help backcomb/palmroll.

4. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

in jamaica the secret umong true rastas to truly preserve and grow their dreads is to shoot people like you that get dreads insteadof growing dreads..its not to late to shave your head..and who do you think can help you here...werent you watching when you were at the salon..how fucking hard could it be..and dont use the word 'retard' like that either its not cool and saying 'human retard' is even worse....reality isnt mean

5. mandyland

mandyland Senior Member

rastas shooting eachother? lol. Hmmm....Philth ignore that guy I dont think he knows what he's really talking about.
    Wash the wax out because it will hinder the dreading process and then leave it be. Theres a recipe somewhere on here for wax removal.
    Your hair will dread up fine over time. And please for the love of God wash your hair! You might have to experiment to find a soap that works best for your hair type. But not washing your hair will also hinder the dread process as well. Oily hair doesnt dread and looks and smells gross. I personally dont use soap cuz I have dandruff issues. I rinse everyday with warm water and then rinse about 3 times a week with rosemary tea. It works great for me. You can try that or any ol' soap that is residue free. Baking soda works for some people as well. Just make sure to rinse it out really well. Other than that alls it takes is a whole lota time and patience! Good luck!

6. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

hi phil *waves*

ive heard allsorts of nasty things about dread places in camden,, bad bad bad things.

my advice is.....
    1- wash your hair!! the deep clean might be a good idea for you, find the thread and try it out =] lots of people make their own rinses and stuff, but i reckon the deep clean is a good starter.

2- the ends will prolly stay loose for a while. some people like that, some dont. its a personal choice kinda thing, i think they look good =]

3- i wouldnt bother with crocheting the dreads, or tying the ends into the dreads. id just let 'em be and do their own thing... im saying this because i pretty much 'manufactured' my dreads. i caked them in wax, i palm rolled them, backcombed them, twisted, sewed the loose hairs in (at the root and tip) blaah. it doesnt do any good whatsoever.

soooooo. wash your hair, get as much shit out, and then just leave them =] if you got any more Q's, feel free to ask any of us

7. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i didnt say shoot eachother i said shoot people and kingston jamaica has a horrible gang problem with MANY MANY so called rastafarians carrying guns... and why pick on me for critizing someone that pays more attention to their hair than to not using derogatory terms like 'human retard'...mandy i see your from cali. so think of east l.a. and multiply the bad shit by 100 and you have kingston jam...

8. Callie4Strings

Callie4Strings Official Spokes Bitch

Id like to see pics...I have never seen a dread perm. What does it do...just fry your hair so it will look knotty????? Is it permanent or does it come out like a regular perm? Sorry just curious!

9. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dread_perming

http://www.qarmabuilding.com/gallery/d/2351-2/Picture+15.png (Found that one on Google Images. That's what it looked like after like 4-6 weeks. So it appears that they do end up looking pretty decent, but I would guess that since it's like frying your hair so that it hold a certain position, it probably isn't very healthy for it.)

10. Callie4Strings

11. raz5

raz5 زینب

like camden new jersey?

12. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

camden in london =]

13. amybird

amybird Senior Member

I used to live in Camden; came home one night to find someone pissing on my front door. Quality.

14. Callie4Strings

I think I woulda whooped some ass...thats f'ed up!!!!!!!!!!!

15. BlazingDervish

BlazingDervish Banned

I've always wanted to try doing permed dreads on someone. I'm an experimenter and have played with crochet, felting, dying, henna, various shampooings and such just for the experience. I feel that if I haven't experienced a method, it's hard to give advice on it without sounding like I'm talking out my ass. (zomg you're making holes and your dreads will fall out!!!11one)

Now if only I could find a guinea pig to test my curiosity on.