ohio pre-planting

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by gertie, Jan 10, 2005.

1. gertie

gertie Senior Member

ohio; cold, wet, iced over.... is it too early to start stuff inside? and where is teh best place to keep them inside? i have my ouside plan pretty much set (we moved to late to really get anything started for last spring/summer).

2. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

I plant most of my seeds this time of year under my lights in seed starter.i have ocra ,tomatoes,egg plant,and cabage ,and a few trees.goin now.arround the end of feb.ill start more.(im in iowa zone 4)
    you can keep your seed trays in a warm spot neer the window,or better yet pick up some cheap lights.(manards got cheap florecent grow lights under $10.00.)
    its well worth it to start your seeds in the winter.by the time spring gets here your plants will be ready to rock and will produce better fruit earlyer.allso your garden will be alot bigger allot more plants becouse starting your seeds earlyer to have bigger plants is allot ALLOT cheaper than buying plants in the spring.of cource its more work but its fun to have vegies growin indorrs before they go outside in the ground.hope this helps.green healing thoughts
    frog

3. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior Member

gertie, please remember to "Harden" off any plants you start indoors before planting them in your garen. I'm in western Pennsylvania. Warm days in April take them outside for a feel for where they will be living for the next 4 months.

4. gertie

gertie Senior Member

thanks for the input. :)