Office clothes

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by hudsonriddle, Jun 3, 2013.

1. hudsonriddle

hudsonriddle Guest

Hello there! As a young professional who’s living off a meager budget, I’d want to improve my office wardrobe for a bit without having to spend a fortune. Image, after all is important at work and it can help build your reputation as well. I’d like to get helpful suggestions on what a young professional like me can wear on a budget, yet still manage to pull off a professional look. I’ve tried buying cheap office Work Wear, like blazers and slacks, but they easily got ripped and damaged. So, now I’m looking for quality but affordable office clothing. Anything you guys can recommend? Also, where are the best places in Sydney to get quality and affordable office Work Wear?

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Obviously you need to read the how many clothes do you own thread.
    Wrong forum, dude.

3. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Buy one good suit that will last a while.

Pair it with less expensive shirts. Buy them in different colours and make sure they are always pressed (ironed). That way you will look professional and because of different cololurs, you'll have many different looks.

4. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

thrift store

5. hudsonriddle

hudsonriddle Guest

I am very sorry, sir!

Thank you for all the response and advice you have given. Very much appreciated.

6. hudsonriddle

hudsonriddle Guest

Like plain shirts and have different colors? I do iron all my clothes before I go to work. What about my pants(lower part)? I just use 1 - 3 in a week?

7. Glasshopper

Glasshopper Struggling for sanity

Thrift stores in the more affluent neighborhoods tend to carry higher quality clothing.

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Ok, if you really want the advice of a bunch of minimalist /dirty hippies, here goes:

Buy a suit. Get the best you can afford, and second hand. Get a second pair of trousers that match OR compliment (depending on the tenor of your work environment. How conservative is it? That will drive color and style selections. Take note of upper management. Emulate them. They set the tone.)
    When you can afford it, get a second suit. Maybe you will need one based on season, maybe you will need two three season suits. Depends on your climate and weather patterns.

Have a T-shirt for every day to go under your button down shirts. Number depends on how often you do laundry. One shirt per day.
    The t shirt absorbs sweat and most scents.
    Button down shirts can wear a day and air a day, hung where they get circulation. So you can wear them more than once between washings, but not two days in a row.

I strongly suggest artofmanliness.com and their style forums. It is American-centric, but American males are usually utterly clueless about office attire straight out of university.