Of Mice and Men

Discussion in 'Books' started by Chris L, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Chris L

Chris L Member

I read this book a little while ago, but I've been thiknig about it lately. My brother hated the book, I, on the other hand, loved it. I can see why someone might hate it, it could be considered slow-paced and boring, but it was just so greatly written. The ending, as sad as it was, was great. It was the exact ending that was needed. I'm not saying that the way the ending came about was a good one, but the ending it self, where he kills his own best friend...it's just amazing.

Comments?

2. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

A great work of 20C literature. A commendable read. It's not too long and easy going. We had to read it when we were 12. 'The Green Mile' by Stephen King reminds me a lot of it(in terms of characters), but this is the true original. Steinbeck deserves to be on everyone's bookshelf.

3. NEMISIS

NEMISIS GONE

Yep, it's the first book I had to read when I was at school too.
    Highly recommend it to all school children.

4. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

That is one of my all time favorite books... I always cry at the end.... The movie was great too... it actually did the book justice i think... the one with John Malkavich as Lenny. If anyone hasn't read this book.. they should

5. yamamamo

yamamamo Member

We read that in school I quite enjoyed it. I wasn't the sort to read unless I had to back then so I might enjoy it more now. The end is heartbreaking, especially in the film version. That big oaf was so sweet! Good book for sure though, I'll have to pick it up again soon.

6. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

I had to read this book for English GCSE back in school and found it really good, I saw the film too, i quite liked the story...i feel so sorry for the guy in the end, he was just so innocent...very good read.

7. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

I picked this book out of a list of reading - thought it might be about animals. HaHa. Well in a way, huh? Great book and I like the Looney Tunes cartoon based on it, too.

8. Will

Will Member

I too did this book for English GCSE.. I really enjoyed it and I must understand it really well considering how it was my exam piece and I got an A* :D

9. carsick

carsick Member

i felt sorry for brooks the stable buck, they all get pissed and kick him about because hes black.inspector calls was a great book aswell (i say this because it was also apart of english GCSE)

10. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

This is quite possibly my favorite story of all time. It was one of the first books I read and I don't now how many times I've read it since.

I saw the made for TV version when I was a 7 yrs old and it hit me hard. I walked around for two days feeling like shit and asking adults why everybody in the story treated Lenny the way they did.

The whole theme--ignorance vs innocence, and how innocence doesn't stand a chance--I think it sums up human history pretty well.

If you liked the story you should see if you can get ahold of the Lon Chaney jr./ Burgess Meredith version of the movie (1939 I think). It's hard to find but I think it's hands down the best version ever made.

11. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I agree. I think it's the best version, I just wish it was in color. The two re-makes are Robert Blake/Randy Quaid and Gary Sinise/John Malkovich.