Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Rev.L.Ation, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Rev.L.Ation

Rev.L.Ation Member

I think I may have this disorder.

I fidget incessantly when a picture's not straight.

Nothing can be 'good enough.' It has to be PERFECT with me.

I correct teachers all the time.

My room is unceremoniously clean.

I can't wear clothing for more than a couple hours without feeling completely disgusted.

I wash clothes that I've only tried on.

I don't know. I can't tell my parents because they'd just laugh at me (they already have).

How do I just cope, or gradually help myself?

2. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

I think there is a seperate disorder for what you are experiencing and its not really ocd. Or maybe its partially ocd but more of something else.

3. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

i learned to live with my oddities,,,, i also have sorta out grown alot of them and moved onto others,,, its me i just try n deal with it n adjust myself to my lil things i do that some find weird strange or obsessive n compulsive,,,,

some of mine are or have been
    i loved bleach n use it on everything,,,,
    everything has its place should be in it,,,, alphabetically or numerically, by genre,,, etc etc,,,
    odd numbers are horrible,,, n i tend to count everything,,, whether its words on a screen or numbers of objects etc,,,,i count inssantly n tend to do things in even quantities...
    chapstick,,,, i use it about 50 times aday,,,,
    finger n toe nails,,, gross me out,,,, n bug me,,,, therefore they are extremely short n gross to most,,,

crooked things on walls really really annoy me,,,, n is hard to go places n not fix them,,,,:)

i memorize numbers (phone n license plates especially),,,, not intentionally ,,, n them have them all stored in my head n can spout them off at anytime,,,
    there are more but those are some of my quirks,,,,

4. Rev.L.Ation

Rev.L.Ation Member

Lol. Like what? Because right now I don't know what you're talking about.

5. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

dillgaf, almost every single quirk you just mentioned I have too! I'm OBSESSED with bleach based products, too! My mom told me to clean the bathroom the other day, so I took a bottle of bleach based cleaner to it and our entire house smelled of chlorine all day.

I also organize everything specifically. My entire closet has a specific order and my mom knows better than to even touch my laundry because she disturbs the balance. Hehe. I also have my DVDs in a certain order, my cds, my bed when it's made...lol. My boyfriend and I have also been helping his mom close the store she works at on weekends and I spend about 45 minutes every night in the cooler, organizing it. I also spent tonight reorganzing the 12 packs of soda on one of the shelves, lol.

I hate odd numbers, too.

And long fingernails/toenails are SO GROSS. I totally agree with you there. Mine are just long enough to scratch itches and that's it. If I notice they're too long and don't have clippers, I just tear them. Gross, I know, but I can't stand having long fingernails.

Basically all the advice I can give, Rev, is if it's not really causing a major strain on your lifestyle, then just learn to accept your obsessions and compulsions as quirks. Think of them as blessings. I love that I'm such a freak about sanitizing things and keeping things organized, it makes my life a whole lot easier. If it starts ruling your life, though, then you may want to talk to a counselor or something about it. Until then, don't worry too much about it. I haven't been diagnosed with OCD, but I pretty much know I have it (you don't have to be a doctor to figure out certain stuff, you know) and I really don't see myself seeking treatment for it anytime soon.

6. Rev.L.Ation

Rev.L.Ation Member

Thank you very, very much.

That was exactly the advice I was looking for. 'Quirks,' hmm? Good word.

And one 'quirk' you guys didn't mention was my worst one...

Online. I edit, re-edit, and re-edit my posts. I preview them, and I always read them when I'm finished. No typo is safe. No leetspeak or slang is used. I talk like a human being in real life, so I might as well in my web life also. My worst obsession.

7. Rev.L.Ation

Rev.L.Ation Member

And, not to mention I just noticed that my signature box (it's an image, with the words) was darker then the surrounding color by only a smidge, so I boxed it off. Still doesn't look right thought, but I have neither the time nor energy to fix it at the moment.

But it's going to bug me all night. I'll make it white tomorrow.

8. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

You are what they call a severe perfectionist.