obesity is now a "virus"?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Gravity, Jan 27, 2009.

1. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

My thoughts are, okay, if it's truly a legit virus...the question to ponder is: is it man-made or did it evolve naturally?

2. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

entirely possible it came about naturally, taking advantage of people genetically susceptible and in such a position to feed those extra fat cells. survival of the fittest, literally.

3. Wild Mountain Dave

Wild Mountain Dave Rainbow

Cancer, we all believe cancer... right??? Well, same basic principal.

4. mamaKCita

people don't like that.

5. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Are you suggesting that Cancer makes people obese?

6. Wild Mountain Dave

nope not at all but cancer is a mutating of cells causing them to multiply at an above average to alarming rate.

7. hippychickmommy

I may be mistaken, but am I correct in thinking I heard something a while back about scientists trying to find a vaccination to help prevent obesity? Or am I thinking of something else?

8. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

You're probably thinking of "Toe Jam" and not "Obesity"

9. mamaKCita

probably so. but people are trying to find vaccines for HIV and cancer, too. i don't really see what bearing that has on the problem, unless you are so attached to the idea that it's not possible for anyone to get fat unless they're not taking care of themselves. i know you said you understand thyroid conditions, but you do have a great deal of interest in remaining thin as you've said yourself.

me, i'm fat because i treat my body like shit. but i have no problem allowing that other people got fat through no fault of their own, including through a virus. i have no vested interest in how they got fat, since it has no bearing on how i got fat. we all still end up in the same boat: deciding to fix it.

10. hippychickmommy

11. Gravity

Gravity #winning

Welcome to America, where nothing is ever your fault.

12. Wild Mountain Dave

no... Fat people SUCK. They're fat cause they SUCK

13. hippychickmommy

But...okay, if someone has this virus so-to-speak, did it not say in the article that it takes roughly 3 months for the body to build up an immunity to it, right? So once the 3 months were up, why would the body continue to become even more obsese if the virus has run it's course and immunity to it was established? Did the person with the virus decide to hell with it, and not try to get back to what they were before? I guess I just don't understand that part of it.

14. Jaitaiyai

Jaitaiyai Cianpo di tutti capi

That's pretty much what it is.

I think it's rubbish, I mean, my dad is overweight, he eats pretty healthy, doesn't drink/smoke/do drugs etc. but he is and has been overweight for a very long time, only soon as he started to do pranayam and yoga exercises he started to lose weight.

I am not going to 'catch' obesity by hanging around with overweight people. :rolleyes:

15. mamaKCita

those fat cells, once they're there, will never go away without liposuction. they'll have to work that much harder to keep from feeding those hungry little cells.

there's nothing fundamentally wrong with finding something that's building up fat cells in an otherwise healthy person. vaccinate them. none of this states that suddenly they can start eating garbage and not exercise and stay thin. i never caught it and i'm fat.

so what is so appalling about finding out that otherwise healthy people are being sabotaged by something they have no control over? fix it. they still have to take care of themselves if they don't wanna get fat.

16. mamaKCita

it's not an excuse to stay fat. overweight is reversible through not being lazy and eating right for your body. just because you caught the virus doesn't mean you're doomed to being overweight. it means you still have to work to take it off.

but if someone has a way to vaccinate against something like that just to make it that much easier to stay healthy, there's nothing at all wrong with that.

17. Wild Mountain Dave

it's obviously more comfortable for people to believe that it is always the fault of the person. I say this arguement will go nowhere. Those that believe fat people suck will always believe it and those who believe it could be an external condition will believe that. As for me, I spent 10 years of my life doing everything in my power to gain weight. I was born skiiiinnny. I hated it but could not gain no matter how hard i tried. One might say I had nothing to do with my skinniness. I was born with it. Conversely, I had guys on my baseball and football team that were fat. We ate the same kinda stuff and used the same workout regime. Would it be fair to say that they had nothing to do with their fatness? I know as life went on for them it became harder and harder to be active and they succombed to laziness but which came first? I'm not going to sit here, fit as I am, and claim full props for it nor will I cast full blame on fat people.

18. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

This thread is making Booshnoogs hungry

19. mamaKCita

lol. i need to eat, too. but i'm too lazy to feed myself.

20. Wild Mountain Dave

haha, all this from the woman that eats half as much as I do. tooo funny.