Obama, and health care

Discussion in 'Opiates' started by Feelings Of U4ia, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Feelings Of U4ia

Feelings Of U4ia Senior Member

What do you guys think about Obama trying to change health care to mimick Canada's health care system? (If he dismissed this also, forget his post, but I can't keep up with all of the things he promised and is now going back on)

What is this going to mean for pain management patients who have been fighting for years to get the medications they need to function and survive?

I personally think it won't happen, since Obama has already dismissed quite a few things he has promised, but I really think this is going to fuck up the entire country, and it's going to screw people out of getting medications in the long run.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this, and if you think it's for the better, or if it is going to completely fuck a LOT of people over. It will help people, sure, but it will fuck a LOT more people over, IMO.

Also, if you have any thoughts on Obama himself, I would like to hear that as well. I never listen to politics, I don't vote, and I never am updated much on current events, but lately I have taken notice and am worried about a lot of things, not just the health care system.

Discuss.

Also, no personal attacks in this thread because of personal opinion, please. This is an intelligent debate, and if it turns into a down syndrome arguing match, I will close it.

That sounds weird coming from me, but I really want to hear people's responses.

2. brax

brax Member

The last i heard Obama was leaving the HMO's and health insurance companies at the table which wouldn't give us a system like Canada's. It would be great if we could get a system like Canada's. If we had a system like Canada's pain care patients would finally be able to afford their meds.

3. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

i think right now with how our economy is.. a free health care system would be very tough on us residents of the US.. shit.. people are having enough problems paying their bills right now.. let alone when another 10+% worth of taxes is taken from your check to support this.. sure its a great idea.. but fix the economy first..

4. china_white

china_white Banned

OMG FEELINGS what is wrong with my country mang I TAKE THIS AS A PERSONAL ATTACK!!!
    now I am joking but seeing as I see no problems with my country's health care what do you think the issues are?

5. LegendInHisTime

LegendInHisTime Member

I think it would be a great idea since I have no health insurance and the job I'm at doesn't offer any health benefits and if I was to pay for insurance myself I would be forking out about half of the money that I make. Something is wrong with the picture and something needs to be done about it.

6. Euphorial

Euphorial Member

Isn't there some chance of financial chaos when it comes to free health-care?

7. Feelings Of U4ia

Feelings Of U4ia Senior Member

If every single person can get health care, as great as that would be, it would begin to cause problems. It is going to make it harder for people to get the meds they need. Doctor's will be even more strict.

I don't have a problem with your health care China, I just don't think it will work for the US...if it works for you, awesome, but I just see it causes problems here..

8. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

yea.. when the US is the #1 country in the world for "abusing" drugs.. you would need a broken leg to get T3's lol

9. LegendInHisTime

LegendInHisTime Member

I agree I think it would cause problems to but something does need to be done about it so many people are uninsured and when Obama was debating Mccain he stated that healthcare should be a right in America in the early 90s Hillary fought for a universal healthcare plan but just didn't have the power or support by congress to pull it off heres some interesting facts I pulled up on the subject

Data released today by the Census Bureau show that the number of uninsured Americans stood at a record 46.6 million in 2005, with 15.9 percent of Americans lacking health coverage. “The number of uninsured Americans reached an all-time high in 2005,” said Robert Greenstein, executive director of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. “It is sobering that 5.4 million more people lacked health insurance in 2005 than in the recession year of 2001, primarily because of the erosion of employer-based insurance.”

Census data show that 46.6 million Americans were uninsured in 2005, an increase of 1.3 million from the number of uninsured in 2004 (45.3 million). The percentage who are uninsured rose from 15.6 percent in 2004 to 15.9 percent in 2005. The number of children who are uninsured rose from 7.9 million in 2004 to 8.3 million in 2005.

“The increase of 360,000 in the number of uninsured children is particularly troublesome,” Greenstein said. “Since 1998, the percentage of uninsured children has been dropping steadily, from a high of 15.4 percent to 10.8 percent in 2004. The new Census data show that the uninsured rate among children moved in the wrong direction in 2005, rising to 11.2 percent.”

Greenstein warned that matters could get worse. In fiscal year 2007, which begins October 1, children’s health insurance programs in 17 states face federal funding shortfalls totaling an estimated $800 million, equal to the cost of covering more than 500,000 low-income children. Congress has known about the shortfall since early February, when the Administration took note of it and proposed a measure to address it, but Congress has so far failed to act.

“Unless Congress takes action this year to avert the impending shortfall,” Greenstein said, “the increase in the number of children without health coverage is likely to accelerate in the year ahead.”

Key Findings from the New Census Data

The number of people without health insurance was 46.6 million in 2005, compared to 45.3 million in 2004, and 41.2 million in 2001 (see table below).
    The percentage of Americans without insurance rose to 15.9 percent in 2005, higher than the 15.6 percent level in 2004 and much higher than the 14.9 percent level in 2001.
    The percentage of Americans who are uninsured rose largely because the percentage of people with employer-sponsored coverage continued to decline, as it has in the past several years.
    The percentage of children under 18 who are uninsured rose from 10.8 percent in 2004 to 11.2 percent in 2005, while the number of uninsured children climbed from 7.9 million in 2004 to 8.3 million in 2005, an increase of 360,000.
    Lack of insurance is much more common among people with low incomes. Some 24.4 percent of people with incomes below $25,000 were uninsured in 2005, almost triple the rate of 8.5 percent among people with incomes over $75,000.
    African-Americans (19.6 percent uninsured) and Hispanics (32.7 percent) were much more likely to be uninsured than white, non-Hispanic people (11.3 percent).