OAP plans Atlantic crossing

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Jaz Delorean, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

this is great, i admire him

read the whole thing: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4212711.stm

A 78-year-old man is advertising for three crew members to sail across the Atlantic Ocean with him - on a float made from gas pipes. Former journalist Anthony Smith, from Shepherd's Bush, west London, wants three over-65s to join him crossing from the Canary Islands to the Bahamas.

The advert in Friday's Daily Telegraph, where Mr Smith used to work, asks only "serious adventurers" to apply.

He plans to make the trip later in 2005 on a 45ft by 25ft raft.

2. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

I'm in.

Oh wait, over 65? I just need 64 more people...

3. Carlos

Carlos Member

wow thats realy cool! looks like he wants to spit in the face of younger generations saying that he is too old for this kinda thing.

A spokesman for Help the Aged, which is backing Mr Smith, said: "Mr Smith is a great example of an old person breaking free from the stereotype which society imposes on you."

wouldn't it be funny thougth if this guy is realy just a senial man living in a nursing home who after glueing a few pipes together anounces that he wants to sail round the atlantic with some chums, but only if they are old enough for there free bus pass coss it will be cheeper...hmmmmm.....

probably not, but its the kind of thing that you can imagen a grandpearent saying to you while your thingking to yourself they have no clue what there on about.

4. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

apparently he said something like "i only want men to come. i'm not sexist, but it would be much simpler" that's what i heard on the radio last anyway. probably misquoted.