Nursing?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Strawberry_Fields_Fo, May 26, 2004.

1. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Well, I've decided to study nursing this fall, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any info...I know the basics of what a nurse does, but can anyone give me any insight about the workload, what classes I'd take (tell me calculous isn't required?!), and so on? I really want to be a pediatric nurse, preferably in a hospital but not in the ER. Any info would be great.

Pax,
    Kate

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

dont do it

pick something else

you sound like a smart girl. go into something else with better hours and better working conditions.

3. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Gee, thanks for the encouragement. Tell me, do you speak from experience or are you just perpetuating generalizations?

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i sent you a pm

5. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Yes, I got it. But I'm still going to study nursing. The other jobs you listed didn't interest me. Besides, your experience won't necessarily be my experience.

6. CelticMuse

CelticMuse Member

Hi, I've been a nurse for 25 yrs. 18 of those were in OR And the ER.

I know now that you have to take more basics such as english,certain math courses, biology. My suggestion to you would be to find out what the basics are and get them out of the way first. While there is a major shortage of nurses all over the states, nursing schools are not making it easy to get accepted or to stay in.
    A friend of mine graduated nursing school 5 yrs ago, she said that the teachers admit that the school work and testing gets harder every year. This is to get the students to study harder and to see who actyally wants to be a nurse.
    She said that since nursing is a high paid profession , they want people who really want to be nurses and that aren't just in it for the money. It's funny because I remember my nursing instructor asking us if we really wanted to be nurses or were we in it for the money.
    Anyway, I'm not trying to change your mind I'm just letting you know it won't be easy.
    As for me, I loved the OR and the ER. The reason I'm still not an OR nurse is because of the call time. I was never at home with my family. I loved the ER too, and had some great times and saw some amazing things. I know work at a more laid back long term care facility and rehab center.
    I've personally not had any bad experiences in nursing. There have been times I've grown tired of it all and wanted to quit, but I also have a family to feed, and the money is damn good.
    If you have any more questions you can pm me if you want. Good Luck