Nursing

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Duncan, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Is anyone going into that field these days ?

2. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Well right now I'm a stay-at-home mama, but I'm thinking of getting into the field myself once my children are all in school, if I don't end up homeschooling in the future. I think it would be an extremely rewarding career. My mother is a nurse as well, a damn great one I might add. ;)

3. Midget

Midget Senior Member

I've put some thought into it. :)

4. HappyDrivin

HappyDrivin Member

yeah, i'm going into nursing!! nursing school is so hard to get into, though, hopefully i'll get in soon...this is my 3rd year of college, and i feel like i've gotten nothing accomplished, but i know that one day it will all be worth it and so rewarding.. if you're going into it, good luck, you'll do great!

5. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I'm a nurse's aide....my aunt that I worked with last year at a nursing home is starting school this week to become a LPN. My aunt will be 60 yrs old in October.
    Someday when I have the time,money & transportation I will go back to school...I have always been interested in being a mid-wife, school nurse or surgical tech.

6. Duncan

I'm a CNA (certified nurse's aide) too. My hospital calls them patient care associates. I'm back in nursing school. I'm lucky to have school and home and work close by. I don't think I have ever been in such a good situation like that before. I appreciate it immensely right now since I can't afford gas.

7. WindDancer

WindDancer Member

What about having dreads and being a nurse? Is it possible??

8. Duncan

I have no idea what you're talking about. If I were to make a stab in the dark about it I would assume you mean hair? You can generally pin up your hair... although I do not understand why anyone would choose to look unhygienic and/or unwashed.

9. Midget

Midget Senior Member

I thought there was a thread about nursing around here somewhere...good thing I scrolled down a little, because I was just about to start a new one. :p

Duncan, are you going back to school to become an RN? As I said in a previous post, I've considered nursing...well, now I am *seriously* considering. I would be interested in hearing about your experiences, your thoughts, or any wisdom you have to share... Are you going for ADN or BSN degree?

Anyone else's comments would be appreciated, too!

10. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

l did the batchelor of nursing 5 years ago.. Glad l did as l've had a great time since..

11. Midget

Midget Senior Member

That's neat...what unit do you work in?

12. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

l work in general practice with 5 doctors.. always busy..

13. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Do you enjoy it? What are you job duties? Have you thought of looking for work elsewhere? (i.e. home health, in hospital, etc.)

14. lenamarina

lenamarina LaLa

I worked as a phlebotomist in a hospital (actually in two different hospitals) for over three years. I worked with a lot of really great and interesting people, a lot of them were nurses. The good thing about their job, I heard, was that you can go almost anywhere you want to and get work. The hours are long, but if you work 12-hour days, you only work three days a week and get 4 days off.

When I worked in Hawaii, I knew a nurse who was from Florida. He was a traveling nurse (work in one hospital for a short period of time and move on to the next). He ALWAYS came to Hawaii for the winters because the surf is AMAZING. So he'd work three 12-hour days, and surf for four days straight.

If you're an adrenalin junky you can work in the ER trauma unit or as a flight nurse. I hear that's exciting. Or if you want a more laid back job, you can get a job in a doctors office somewhere. There's so many options.

It's really hard work. A lot of nurses I worked with were just so tired a lot of the time, they would snap and say things that they didn't really mean. You also have to do a lot of work for doctors who can be "not so nice" a lot of the time. So you have to be able to let things "slide off your back".

Anyone who wants to be a nurse should be caring. It's a noble profession and usually pays quite well.

Good luck to all of you in school and thinking about it! I wish you well!

15. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Thank you. It's always fascinating to get information from people who have experience. :) I'd read a lot about travelling nursing, school nursing, camp nursing, cruise ship nursing - basically a lot about nursing that isn't in a hospital. Well, I guess travel nursing is in a hospital still, but you're not tied down to one hospital for long, unless you choose to be. The more I read, the more I am excited to get started. I know it's hard work, I know there's a lot to learn - but the flexibility really appeals to me and I love helping people, so I figure I should go for it! :)