Nudism / Naturism in the US: hopeless cause?

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by Astaroth, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

In Australia the demographics of clothing optional events is skewed towards older single men. I can think of one event in Melbourne that only accepts hetro couples.

2. NakedInfluence

NakedInfluence Member

I'm fascinated by the speed of this change. I've heard stories of nude swimming at schools and at the YMCA 30 or 40 years ago and now not only does it not happen anymore the very idea is considered abhorrent. Many people even doubt or try to deny that it ever happened.

3. Ron Mo

Ron Mo Members

Part of the reason in the US is the growth of prosperity. Now almost every child has their own bedroom and no longer to see siblings undressed. Add to that most homes in the US now have multiple bathrooms so the need for shared facilities is also gone. Then of course there is the excuse that technology and filtration of pools is so much better so nude swimming is no longer required.
    It seems like these things might be part of the reasons for the rapid change of society, but there has to be more than that.

nldn likes this.
  4. NudistTed

NudistTed The Naked Man

I do believe there is more.....I think one of the main reasons is the rise of conservatism and the fear of homosexuality. I can't tell you how many times I've heard anti homo comments aimed at the gym aimed at men who are seen naked walking to the showers, steam room, or sauna. Nudity (or not covering up) in public places such as gym locker rooms etc, seems to be equated with homosexuality. Almost all of my conservative/religious friends have a very unsavory view of nudity. They equate nudity with sex and male nudity with homosexuality. At least that's whats I've experienced.

Nakednudist and Granite69 like this.
  5. Ron Mo

Ron Mo Members

Yes, I have seen the same issues, but not sure is coming from the conservative movement. The male nudity equal homosexuality belief that I have heard seems to be among younger people that are generally more liberal. The nudity equals sex belief seems to be more among older people that are generally more conservative, but have seen on both sides liberal and conservative. What I have seen from many conservatives is misuse of Scripture to falsely condemn nudity, with their mind already made up. Scripture is used as an excuse. But then I have met many conservative Christians that are nudists, including at least one pastor.
    One thing I have heard so many times is after Adam and Eve sin, they covered their ‘private parts.’ But Scripture does not say that. What it does say is they were using ‘clothing’ to try and hide from God, because of their sin. Sorta like camouflage. The idea many get of covering private parts seems to come from paintings showing that.

6. NudistTed

NudistTed The Naked Man

Hi Ron Ho.........I'm not disputing what you are saying as we both probably run in different social/age circles our perceptions and experiences can differ. I feel we are both on the same boat, just on different decks.... I appreciate your view on the subject.
    Ted

Bilby likes this.
  7. Ron Mo

Ron Mo Members

I don’t think being a naturist in the US is dead, but I tend to be an optimist.
    When I had the over 100 acres we tried different things.
    The biggest thing we tried to bring outsiders into nudism was contacting a couple medical people and see if interested in having a place for clients to get way from the big cities to relaxed, and get fresh air. We could have put up a couple small cabins, but couldn’t find any interest.
    Thought about my place open for nude art in nature, but no interest.
    Many people in the area of my 100+ acres knew about nudist lifestyle and meetings, but no interest.
    One lady had cancer and needed the fresh air and vitamin-d, but...
    Some of us talked about other ideas to introduce other people to the casual clothes free life style, but...

8. NakedInfluence

NakedInfluence Member

Interesting, I've never considered these points. My wife and I are trying for our second and already looking at a bunk bed even if we end up with one of each they'll share. Also we sleep naked and always will so that nudity is seen to be normal. We want the kids to see that their mum and dad prioritize intimacy and touching each other is an important facet of it even if it makes the kids uncomfortable.

Ron Mo likes this.
  9. Granite69

Granite69 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

But they’re not completely wrong. In my experience, I have found a statistically significant correlation between men who enjoy nudism and men who are either gay or bi. One of my favorite outdoors websites (Gay Outdoors) has a whole section dedicated to nude swimming holes in New England.

It is what it is as they say. If you are more comfortable than average about walking around and simply being nude, then you are probably more comfortable than average about non traditional sexual practices and viewpoints. This isn’t to say by any means that male nudists are just cruising around for gay sex (because that’s utterly false) but rather suggesting that there’s something in the brain chemistry that simultaneously triggers a looser attitude about both casual nudity and sexual norms ... although not necessarily at the same time.

Hope that all made at least a little sense. LOL.

10. nldn

nldn Senior Member

I think the fear of homosexuality is a factor. I recall when growing up that showers after sport were a normal thing to do, that you saw the variety of naked male bodies, and whilst some boys were shy, most treated it as just a normal thing to be naked and nothing to fear. The occasional erection (perhaps from a full bladder) was treated as one of those things.

11. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Is promoting barefooting a lost cause ? I don't know. Its the same but also much different in alot of ways.

Makes no sense what so ever, I can have my feet exposed in flip flops and no one cares but if ohh nooo !! My feet touch the ground its a tragedy to some people.

Is going barefoot even a big part of nudism-naturalism ? I have no idea. I am ok with the rest of the cloths I just don't like how shoes cut me off from being able to feel the ground I am walking on.

12. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I found going nude at Confest, the ground was too hot to go barefoot.

13. DarthDva

DarthDva Members

Has nothing to do with purityranny, non-westerners also wear clothes, its part of being civilized.

14. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I guess, I rarely wear shoes in Florida, the only thing that gets too hot for me is wooden decks if there is little or no wind. Regular barefooting you get thicker not "calloused" but more durable skin.

15. nldn

nldn Senior Member

As I have mentioned on other threads, I think the fear of being photographed as led to less outdoor nudism.

16. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

Is the clothes free movement dying ? I don't think so. I think "timing" has a lot to do with it. Older adults are retired or have more vacation time to use during the week days. While younger people are still working or do not have time built up to take random days off. Week ends seem to be more of a younger crowd then older adults . So that can affect your views on it

17. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

Excellent reply sir...His post was insanity at it's finest.

granite45 likes this.
  18. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My first experience in social nudity was at Jerry Johnson hot springs in North Idaho....what a delight and quickly all the spurious clothing mandates seemed irrelevant. Both my wife and I have enjoyed clothes free bathing and soaking in appropriate settings ever since. Kind of like the experience pot-legal Washington. What was all that about?

Granite69 and idahocowboy like this.