November Camping? Yes/No

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by Jude96, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Jude96

Jude96 Members

You think it’s too cold to camp in upstate NY this late in the season? I lived in Cali for a decade until summer 2017 so I may be underestimating the outdoor night time cold...

Brave souls here though...

(No camper... just tents)

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Whats the night time temperature?
    The coldest temp I've camped in was around 12 degrees F. I wasnt remotely prepared and I still did not die. So thats something lol

But if you prepare you should be fine. Wear long johns, proper socks, and get a sleeping bag thats rated for up to 0 degrees.

Jude96 likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Camping in the cold still better than camping in the hot and there's no bugs. :)

Jude96 likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

November Camping?

[​IMG]

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

They are supposed to be getting really low temperatures tomorrow in the Northeast. Around 0 if you count the windchill. I've been out in inclement weather before, but I hated it. This was part of my experience with boarding school in North Idaho. We went on wilderness excursions throughout North Idaho/Montana. It was a really positive experience, but also a powerful lesson. We/I take many many things for granted. :)

Jude96 likes this.
  6. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

The ground is probably covered with snow up there.

I am sure, as others have said, that if you are prepared then you will not die.

But at what cost?

Jude96 likes this.
  7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

most years lately it's still cool and damp this time of year. which is not pleasant for camping, but doable. but this year, winter came hard on about november 1. i suppose it's still doable, but way worse than simply "not pleasant."

Jude96 likes this.
  8. gentlesenior

gentlesenior Members

I have camped often in winter, sometimes in the Adirondacks. I like camping in the cold with others but not alone. we would build fires, sip whiskey and enjoy each others company. Alone, darkness come early, you have to build the fire alone, no conversation, still sip whiskey:) Nights are long. Alone I would forget fire, crawl into tent to read until sleep came. I was always exhausted because I was back country skiing so sleep came easy. Nowadays when I go in the winter I choose a hostel. Daks have a really good one, 'll dig out the name if you are interested.

Jude96 and soulcompromise like this.
  9. Matias

Matias Members

Totally agree here. All my favorite camping trips were from the cooler months between September and November. There's a lot less bugs, it's easier to sleep at night, and the day time brings cool comfort.

Yeah winter this year came hard, early, and relentless. Last year we hardly got any snow. This year we got 10 inches just a week ago.

Jude96 likes this.
  10. theamos

theamos Members

Just did one 3 weeks ago it was warn during the day and cold at night
    The best for drinking and fires

Jude96 likes this.
  11. Jude96

Jude96 Members

Thanks all... gunna think it over... only have one possible weekend to do it anyway so may be a lost cause...we’ll see
    :blush:

12. theamos

theamos Members

Is this a bf or what

13. Matias

Matias Members

Maybe that's a reason to grab some sub zero camping gear and grin and bear it anyways.

Even though it certainly seems like it may suck, sometimes you just have to go with it.

Hope you find the right choice for you. Camping has almost always been fun for me, even the bad weather days oddly enough.

Jude96 likes this.
  14. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

I was all ready to say "Hell yes!" till I saw the "upstate NY" qualifier.
    Sub-freezing no bueno, no bueno, no bueno,,, but that's just me and my Lizard blood. :smilecat:

Jude96 likes this.
  15. Jude96

Jude96 Members

Love the mixed reviews... we’re pretty adventurous so maybe we’ll go for it one night this weekend (or light and fire inside, have some bourbon and put on a Christmas movie haha)

16. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

in upstate new York it is raining in November and in the higher elevations lots of snow already......the hundred dollar pup tent wont suffice....you couldnt anchor it well enough to survive a bad night....you need the expensive mount Everest tent and the gore tex everything ..or is this the kind of camping where you walk 50 feet to the building with the showers?

17. gentlesenior

gentlesenior Members

I am very adventurous as well, just be ready for N. NY weather. Image below is my last trip to the Daks, I don't think a single snowflake melted that season.:
    P2250030.JPG

EloiseAtThePlaza and jmadre like this.
  18. Jude96

Jude96 Members

That’s badass... yeah I went through one winter here so I know I may be attempting to bite off more than I can chew... unfortunately I think it’s a lost cause at this point

19. Jude96

Jude96 Members

Nooo never those kinda camp grounds, I enjoy going off the grid... but unfortunately I think we’re going to wait until spring comes back around

GypsyHolly83 likes this.
  20. gentlesenior

gentlesenior Members

Shame, regroup and give it another go in the Spring.