notice about using led grow light?

Discussion in 'LED Growing' started by LEDlover0, Dec 26, 2011.

1. LEDlover0

LEDlover0 Guest

I just buy one led grow light for my plants, but do not know exactly about the tips on using it. Any suggestions? Any notice about using different colours? how to control the time?

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

oddly enough for as much as this lamp is being advertized.. Ive seen very little use out of them myself. just use them as you would other lighting times. 18/6 for Veg. 12/12 for flowering... Since they give off little heat you can put them closer, there is some very good results Ive seen with budding plants, especially lowriders and tight budding clones.

3. Rocklobster

Rocklobster Senior Member

good for starting up seedlings and clones and that's about it.

4. Eztimers

Eztimers Member

I realize this is an old post.
    I've been indoor gardening for 12 years now. Found OverGrow in late 99/2000 time frame, and learned to build my HID's from maintinence kits.
    Grew in a perpetual pattern with them until July of last year, but was having issue with high eletric bills that bounced between $300.00 and $425.00 a month, with airconditioning, and humidifiers, extracting blowers, and what not.

My 2 LED's cost $2300.00 the T-5's for germination/cloning/early veg and some for supplimental flower lighting, more for the lower branches and those areas, cost another $500.00 with spare bulbs for each.

LED's are fantastic, IF, you know what your buying......IF you pay attention to the electromagnetic band and get it, and then IF your array, has Infared and Ultraviolet LED's installed.
    Mine has 11 bands, weights 48 pounds, and is one of the best pieces of grow equipment I've ever used. You will not look at the array without sunglasses, it's simply blindingly bright.
    With a good balanced spectrum, the idea of bring it as close to the plants as you do with HID's, is usless...raise it up, your girls will love you for it. (this stumped me for a while)
    If you grow like you did with HID's you going to hate your investment.
    LED grown plants will not stretch during the transition, I wish I knew why.
    But once I simply vegged them longer, I started to get my dried weights back to reasonable.
    Now, I got my perpetual cycle going agin, once I got my learning curve sorted out.
    The real win for me, IMHO, is this my fourth real electric bil, and not the estimated ones.....$37.00, then one for $42.00, then I had to run my dehumidifer, so I'm paying a whopping $49.00 and we're smoking all the killer ganja want to.

Are my harvest numbers as big as they was when I ran HID's? OH HELL NO!! HID's will out perform LED's, as LED's are just getting to their feet so to speak, and improvements are coming along faster everyday.

The early market statuation of crappy LED's sold as grow lights was a terrible terrible blow to entire world of grow LEDs, as they sucked badly!!
    However, there are good lights out there!! I just love mine.

5. lewis11c

lewis11c Banned

They will flower the plant but you won't get nice full buds like you would with a HPS lamp. If its your only option then go for it.

6. Jasmine J

Jasmine J Guest

The blue light helps leafy growth, strong stems and compact vegetative growth . Red light helps bloom, extend flowering period , fruit production, seeding etc. Orange color will help get more vivid color.y

I recommend 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness during the germination stage (when the plants are just seeds).

After the seeds sprout out of the ground, move it to 16 hours of light and 8 hours of darkness.

Once the plants grow and start flowering, it’s not a bad idea to switch them to a 12 hours on, 12 hours off schedule.

7. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

once they start flowering?

how did you get plants to flower on 18-6.....silly me...i always thought it was the switch to 12-12 that triggered the flowering:)

what does this mean ''orange color will help get more vivid color.y''

8. Jasmine J

Jasmine J Guest

"what does this mean ''orange color will help get more vivid color.y''
    It means Orange (610nm) help plants / florwer color be vivid, colorful, and attractive.

9. Jasmine J

Jasmine J Guest

I hear from a friends said that : Hybird lighting with HPS & LED grow lights, can help increase of yields by 20% . That is a actual case from Ukrainian.

In 2011 one of the Ukrainian companies implemented a pilot project of hybrid supplementary lighting system based on a combination of sodium (ZHSP) and LED lighting, which allowed further increase of yields by 20%.

LED lighting makes possible to provide light between the plants without unwanted heat generation. The major advantage is that all the plants can be lit at the points where they gain most benefit. The results are excellent.

As the light provided can be converted more efficiently into sugars, the building blocks of the plant. Thus, we’re moving towards the best possible solution for plants: better control of placing the sources of light, lighting intensity and temperature in a greenhouse. As a result, there is no need in ventilation, thereafter, there is no loss of carbon dioxide gas. This ensures much better control of growing process.

10. multicycler

multicycler Guest

I am experienced like EZtimer who posted on page one. Things are great if you know what you are doing, and know what you are buying. That, and the energy saving cost, and lower risk, make this issue a no-brainer. As long as you use your brain.

PM me for advice if needed. I will ignore you if you are some sort of business or sounds like your fishing for anything.

Nice to hear other peoples experience though.

11. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

we dont give people pm privelages till they have a few posts under their belt

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

real people are winning at +2 posts compared to the spammers

(comparing posts and deletions in this thread)

13. multicycler

multicycler Guest

I understand.