Nothern Ireland bank robbery?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Spacer, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Do people think the IRA were behind it? I'm not sure myself but I think it was very unprofessional of the security forces to come out and say it was when they don't seem to have any proof and have made no arrests.

2. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I think some one in the IRA don't share the same principles as others .. if 'peace' is declared and were all talking diplomaticaly hiding behind a cause to be nothing but a criminal .. won't work.

So yeah it probably did have something to do with the IRA.. but not the IRA that are using diplomacy .. For gerry Adams to give it legitamcy or even giving it credance would be wrong though..He is right to distance himself , but he could be lieing for the right reasons ? i don't believe he personaly was aware of it though ? if he was then he truly is a stupid man.

3. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Yeah I reckon it could turn out that some IRA members that were behind it but I don't think it was giving the rubber stamp by the IRA governing council.

4. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Seems a little odd to me. Why would they do something so stupid after involving themselves in a peace process which they clearly believe will yield much greater dividends? Not to mention the fact that the money that was stolen will apparently now be valueless as the bank is to issue new currency in an identifiably different format. You'd think that anyone smart enough to steal that much money woulda seen that one coming, huh? Everyone else was out on TV that night saying "they'll never be able to spend it". Seems like they were the only ones who didn't realise this - which you'd think mighta just cropped up in conversations during the planning stage. So - net losers = the IRA and the republican movement. Net gainers = the nationalists. Remind me again why the IRA would do this? And what evidence have we been shown to support this theory, in a country were we have a quaint old tradition of "innocent until proven guilty"? Oh yeah, jack shit. Something smells a little wrotten to me.

5. COBALT_Blue

COBALT_Blue Member

There is no evidence. It's called speculation. You either dig it or you don't.

[​IMG]

6. DoktorAtomik

Yeah, but police chiefs are not generally expected to engage in public speculation without bringing specific charges. How would you feel if the local police 'speculated' publically that you were a paedophile? You'd kinda expect them to have some evidence if they were gonna 'speculate' in that direction, surely?

'Speculation' should be for the media and the public. The police should confine themselves to the facts.

7. COBALT_Blue

COBALT_Blue Member

Yeah but they are Northern Ireland Police - they are different. They have been speculating for years. Theyre probably better at it.

8. DoktorAtomik

It doesn't matter how good they are. They still shouldn't do it. The time for the police to express an opinion is when they have enough facts
    to bring charges. All they're doing at the moment is interfering dangerously in the political process.

9. COBALT_Blue

COBALT_Blue Member

I was being cynical. I have to agree with you which is such a shame because now we have nothing to argue about ....sigh

[​IMG]

10. DoktorAtomik

Doncha just hate that? :p

11. COBALT_Blue

COBALT_Blue Member

Yeah I do. Totally off topic though, I just took a look at your website. The forum don't work or is just on the go slow but hey, its a good website and fantastic pics. Your views on life are cool but you should eat more meat LOL

[​IMG]

12. DoktorAtomik

Works fine for me in both IE and Mozilla. Just had a nosey and no probs at all.

Why thank you kind sir! *blush*

Sorry dude, I'm as straight as a ruler, so you'll have to keep your meat to yourself :p