Notebooks

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by DancerAnnie, May 27, 2007.

1. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I'm looking into buying a notebook because I will be moving out of state and into a place where I will only have wi-fi (I currently have a PC and a dial up connection - I will not have a phone line where I will be moving)...

I primarly use my current computer to store music and photos, burn CD's, and do the whole internet thing.

What is the best notebook to get under 1200 dollars for what I use my current computer for?

I don't know all that much about computers, so if this sounds at all odd, forgive me.

2. brack1936

brack1936 Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey! I have no idea what laptops sell for in the States but I think you will easily get a capable laptop for less than $1200. Anything over 800Mhz is ample.

3. musicdude

musicdude Member

The above poster is correct, you can get a very nice laptop from hp for $900. Go to the hp site and check em out.

4. trekker

trekker Intrepid Traveler

I have a Compaq laptop. I like it, and have had no trouble for a year so far. You can customize it anyway you like, thus making the price go up or down according to your needs. You can do this online on the companys website. I don't know what wi fi is though. I use optimum online for the speed. You have to factor in the internet costs per month as well as the money for the puter. Mine came to more than I thought because upgraded. I don't know if I over did it for my needs, but I think about $900 is minimum for a decent setup. Good luck shopping.

5. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I will be getting free internet, actually.

6. Adderall_Assasin

Adderall_Assasin Senior Member

if you want a fully featured, powerful, durable, stable, cool laptop then i know exactly what you should get.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...6374002/wo/1i3x5CMHaQCB3hXpyw2BTICqNm9/1.?p=0

the MacBook is a hardcore laptop. you can run Windows on it if you want but there would be no need to. Mac's are good, but there is more to this laptop than just being a Mac. this laptop was designed for people our age and college students. it can be dropped and kicked around and abused and still work.

my sister has one of these. the thing looks like a nasty mess but everything still works. i have seen her drop it soooo many times and she even tosses it off her bed onto the floor. it is unbelievable that her laptop is still working, but it really is.

another thing is, you should get the AppleCare Plan. if anything EVER does break in the next 3 years or whatev, Apple will fix it for absolutely free. they will even pay shipping and have in back to you ASAP. i had a friend that used the AppleCare because his screen had one single bright pixel in it. he sent it in and got it fixed in under 2 weeks for completely free.

they are really an honest company.

7. musicdude

musicdude Member

Please,no. Theyre overpriced and the graphics cards suck. Macs are okay, but theyre not the perfect, virus-free machine that many people claim they are. if he doesnt need osx, no reason to get one.

wifi is wireless internet.

8. Adderall_Assasin

please yes. it is the most durable thing in the world. you cant find a notebook that is tougher for the price.

and what viruses are available for Macs. do you know something that i dont? there was like 7 in the past 2 years and they have all been sealed up by Mac OSX updates.

thats the thing. the user DOES need OSX. you are right that if someone doesnt need OSX then they shouldnt get one. honestly, they do need OSX. even if the user decides to go against that, they can always install Windows or Linux on a MacBook.

and the graphics card processor is really fast despite its average notebook Gcard memory amount.

9. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I bought a used year old Compaq off e-bay for 250$...

Couldn't be happier.

10. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I bought a refurbished Gateway laptop, just befor Xmas. Around $600.
    80 gigs of hard drive. Have a lot of music and photos stored, when I defrag it says I have 83% of free space left on C drive.
    Its dual ported so will except Vista when it gets to the point I can trust it. So will stick with XP, Im comfortable with it.
    It came WiFi, and a $50. router put me on line.
    .................................................................Dennis...

11. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

Firstly, the only reason mac's don't have as many viruses is because not nearly as many people use them, so creating viruses for macs would be like poisoning a pond when you could destroy the ocean.

Secondly, they're not durable at all. I haven't had a mac product that would last.. And as soon as they break, good luck convincing the gestapo that is mac support that you're not at fault.

For under 1200, and a laptop, it wont really matter what you get. I'd suggest with that budget to get something new, and abusing the warranty, but its up to you. Buying used is buying other people's problems, usually.

12. cricketlind

cricketlind Member

dude: Check out Panasonic Toughbooks. Mine got ripped off or I would still be using it. I got it used for 150 bucks. Though it was an older model. It was tough. Dropped it, hitched with it and just gave it hell. The newer models come with Wi-Fi. Comes with Windows Pro. But installed Linux on mine and it worked even better. Will be getting another one as soon as I can. Google Panasonic Toughbooks or enter it into the search field at Ebay. Ebay has some good deals on them. The newest ones retail for around 1900 but I see them going for a whole lot less on ebay. Hey a trucker dropped my backpack from the seat to the ground with my laptop inside. It was padded by clothes and such. But that is a heck of a drop. Not just a little drop you know. It survived and never gave me any trouble. I was on my way to National Rainbow two years ago. It was when I was on my way home that it got ripped off. Someone ripped off my backpack with my 'puter inside. But I would highly recommend the product. Or get a Mac like the other folks said.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Peace, Cricket

13. Adderall_Assasin

well, considering that everyone didnt use Macs a couple years ago, maybe you would have a point. people do use Macs now. actually, many people/companies have switched to a Mac to get rid of viruses, like CNN (the news channel).

btw, only 7 virurses/malware have been created that were successful in OSX in one year. every single one was closed up in a few days and updates were released. none were threatening.

another figure is, 70% of Mac users on the Internet have a college degree. compare with 50% of PC users. if you can gradute college, you have to be smart, although you can be smart even without a college degree.

How about this. 16%+ of people on the Internet use Macs. only 7 viruses were successful, out of lets estimate more than 1,000 viruses. this is all in one year, and we KNOW that there is more than 1,000 viruses a year that are successful. So that means only .7% of viruses/malware that have been made were succesful on the Mac OSX operating system. That is a very low percent; unimaginable.

trust me, OSX is far superior to microsoft.

btw, the Apple iPod does kinda suck. it is a disgrace if you ask me. it sets a very bad example of Apple hardware. so far, my family has bought 2 laptops from Apple and both are abused by college students and niether have failed on us.

14. joe07735

joe07735 Member

I'm ready to vomit. Mac isn't a deity DO NOT fall to your knees and worship her.

Buy a dell laptop with ubuntu on it. Guaranteed 100% compatibility with linux ;). Seriously ubuntu is far more advanced than vista, and free.

An ubuntu Laptop is the best thing you could do for yourself. A macbook would be the next best, if most expensive, way.

If money is not an issue a macbook could always be dual booted with linux and you could choose which you liked better; thus getting the super tough casing (I'm taking adderalls word b/c I've never used on) and an option of either Ubuntu, OS X, or both.

15. cricketlind

cricketlind Member

Hey I just got a new laptop. Will be putting Ubuntu on it shortly. Will be doing dual boot. As sometimes Windows is needful for some software that just doesn't have a linux or opensource equivalent. It is a Dell Lattitude X300. Just got it today or should I say yesterday. Tapped me out. Got a few bucks in cash but my bank account is just barely there. But it is OK. I will be putting more in there in a few days. When I get paid again. It is so-o-oo-ooo much faster than my old Dell desktop. Can't wait to get Ubuntu installed on it. As soon as they get my area covered with wireless I will be changing from DSL to wireless. The local wireless place where I bought it is trying to cover the town with wireless and bring the mountains into this century. Embarq just raised there rates and the service took a turn for the worse. So, hopefully I will be surfing on some high waves soon. I took the advice here and checked out the Dell family of laptops. I think it just might turn out to be correct. We will see. It is very lightweight. Mine is reconditioned from the factory. It came with a CD rom drive or a DVD player. I had the extra dough...just... to upgrade it to a DVD burner. I am surfing from my rocker and sipping homemade wine.

Thanx for the recommendations. I would not have considered a Dell as seriously otherwise. I loved my old Panasonic. But it was....heavy to tote around.

Peace, Cricket

16. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Good is really a measure of the parts you've, and not so much a brand name thing. I spent around $900 on my Toshiba a few months ago, and couldn't be happier.

Make sure to get a gig of ram. 2 if you can spring it. With the money you're looking at putting in, anything you buy (assuming you're not ripped off) will be able to fulfill your needs honestly. Check out price watch.

http://www.pricewatch.com/notebooks/