Not suitable for vegetarians in the UK: M&Ms, Bounty, Celebrations, Galaxy, Maltesers

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by competitionboy, May 6, 2007.

1. competitionboy

competitionboy Member

Hi guys,

I live in the UK and a letter was sent out to a few people recently saying that because of the changing of some ingredients some food won't be suitable for vegetarians any more.

The exact text is:
    “Due to a change in the ingredients used in our chocolate recipes from 1st May 2007 many of our products now contain whey. This is a by-product of the cheese making process and uses rennet derived from an animal source. Therefore we feel it is for individual vegetarians to judge whether they are comfortable in consuming cheese products that do not bear a vegetarian symbol; we would consider our products to fall into this same category.

Products that are currently in store or that you may have already purchased that carry a Best Before Date of 1st October or before are still suitable for your consumption, however if you have purchased any products with a best before after this date then we will be more than happy to refund the value of the product. Please see attached lists for further information.”:mad:

The actual letter scans and whole list can be seen here:
    http://masterfoodspetition.blogspot.com/

There is also a mini-petition available:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/MarsWhey/petition.html

It would be good if you had a few spare seconds and you could just sign it! :)

The chocolates are very popular over in the UK, so I don't know why they want to change their ingredients, but hey ho.

Thanks guys.

2. claireloise

claireloise random hippie

hey, thanks for that, i hadnt heard that before, i love galaxy but i wont be eating in with rennet in!

3. Ezzie

Ezzie Member

Eugh.. I thought vegetarian food was supposed to be expanding? :|

4. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Thanks for the heads up.

5. Ezzie

Ezzie Member

And yes sorry thanks for the heads up =]

I'm annoyed now =[ Maltesers no-more =[:p

6. competitionboy

competitionboy Member

Sorry about the bad news guys...!

You could always try and moan at them with their free-phone number if your in the UK (0800 952 1234). The petition has sorta been hijacked at the moment, but will see if the the person who is running it can get some comments removed!!

7. Ezzie

Ezzie Member

In all honesty I doubt it'll be changed.. I just want to know why the hell they're adding animal products into it? They'll lose customers wont they? :S

8. competitionboy

competitionboy Member

9. competitionboy

competitionboy Member

[​IMG] Forgot to say thanks to everyone..so thanks!!

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

competition boy, please contribute on other topics (I know this is your only topic on veggie boards, as well.
    The reason I ask, is a one-topic poster is considered a spammer on our site.
    So, swing into some of our other conversations, start more discussion on ingredients and be welcome.

11. competitionboy

competitionboy Member

[​IMG]
    Pants, another update:
    The company behind some of Britain's top-selling chocolate bars has admitted many of its well known brands will remain unsuitable for vegetarians, despite reversing a decision to use animal extracts in its products.

While Mars UK has backflipped over the use of animal extracts in some of its chocolate confectionery - including Mars and Snickers bars - ingredients used in its other products, such as Twix, Bounty, Celebrations, Topic and Milky Way, will not be changed, meaning they will continue to be unsuitable for vegetarians.
    http://masterfoodspetition.blogspot.com/2007/05/not-all-mars-products-will-be-veggie.html

12. Ezzie

Ezzie Member

You're bloody kidding me? =/