Not One Damn Dime Day

Discussion in 'Protest' started by JoneeEarthquake, Jan 13, 2005.

1. NOT ONE DAMN DIME DAY

"Since our religious leaders will not speak out against the war in Iraq, since our political leaders don't have the moral courage to oppose it, Inauguration Day, Thursday, January 20th, 2005 is "Not One Damn Dime Day" in America.

On "Not One Damn Dime Day" those who oppose what is happening in our name in Iraq can speak up with a 24-hour national boycott of all forms of consumer spending.

During "Not One Damn Dime Day" please don't spend money. Not one damn dime for gasoline. Not one damn dime for necessities or for impulse purchases.

Not one damn dime for nothing for 24 hours. On "Not One Damn Dime Day," please boycott Walmart, KMart and Target.

Please don't go to the mall or the local convenience store. Please don't buy any fast food (or any groceries at all for that matter).

For 24 hours, please do what you can to shut the retail economy down.

The object is simple. Remind the people in power that the war in Iraq is immoral and illegal; that they are responsible for starting it and that it is their responsibility to stop it.

"Not One Damn Dime Day" is to remind them, too, that they work for the people of the United States of America, not for the international corporations and K Street lobbyists who represent the corporations and funnel cash into American politics.

"Not One Damn Dime Day" is about supporting the troops. The politicians put the troops in harm's way. Now 1,200 brave young Americans and (some estimate) 100,000 Iraqis have died. The politicians owe our troops a plan - a way to come home.

There's no rally to attend. No marching to do. No left or right wing agenda to rant about. On "Not One Damn Dime Day" you take action by doing nothing. You open your mouth by keeping your wallet closed.

For 24 hours, nothing gets spent, not one damn dime, to remind our religious leaders and our politicians of their moral responsibility to end the war in Iraq and give America back to the people."

2. you have my support

3. HonkyTonk

HonkyTonk Member

That is the worst idea i have ever heard.

I am gonna fill my gas tank up, buy $150 worth of groceries, and buy something expensive just to piss you off.

4. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

How does this support the troops???

I work retail! Retail pays my bills! Retail provides you with all or most of the products and services you need to live! Why would you want to shut retail down?

If people need gas, groceries, etc, they will buy them on the next day, wont they...

Costing jobs and/or creating economic difficulties = supporting troops & making a statement to government? HOW?

This just doesn't make any sense.

5. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

i agree with that, but otherwise a pretty good idea. I think we should do it more often

6. HonkyTonk

HonkyTonk Member

Wait, we should refrain from spending while in a recession? I see no reason in that whatsoever.

7. Pikachu

Pikachu Member

I agree.

Not a Damn Dime Day is a great way to celebrate our selfishness, and harm the working people of this great country!

Let's not spend a dime that day, and screw over the millions of people, the waitresses, the car mechanics, the grocery clerks, and the small businesses who depend on our economy moving to earn an honest living.

Let's screw over America on Not a Damn Dime Day!

8. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

Worst Idea ever. Lets punish all the small buinesses that need that income. Are people growing too lazy to write letters these days?

9. stickchick24

stickchick24 Member

To all you naysayers:

Will you get paid per hour no matter how much money comes in that day? Yes, most of you will. Unless you are a traveling salesperson who gets paid per perchase made (not too many people), then this boycott will just make your day a little slower than usual. I know FOR A FACT that one day of not selling whatever goods or services will not hurt anyone. There were quite a few days an ex used to sit in a ghost town and only have a couple people stop at the auto shop he worked at and not even spend a dime. He still got paid for the time spent "working". So please don't use that as an excuse to not protest.

Peace & love
    Kim

10. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

1. If millions and millions of people diddn't buy anything at all for 24 hours, yes it would hurt people, and 2. if it won't hurt anyone, then what's the point?

11. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

One whole day to a small buisness owner might be a big deal too. They have overhead to pay and Employees to pay.

12. PhotoGra1

How do you know this, "for a fact"?

We can only run the hours we are budgeted, and our budget is based SOLELY on the prior weeks sales. Cut 1/7 of our sales, I have to cut 1/7 of my hours next week. (but I will still have to pay 7/7 of my bills!)

Besides, how does a protest on buying support the troops or send a message to our government?

13. AannaSolo

AannaSolo Member

well what a great idea... trouble is, I believe you talking to a pack of Bush supporters

14. well thers not really anything wrong with the war, so why protest?

15. AannaSolo

AannaSolo Member

spew vomit eeewww - except that George W. had so much money to make!!!!!!

Get real and stop being brainwashed AAAGGGHHHH

16. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

I believe "money for small buinesses" is a value of the democratic party. (Im not republican nor demo)

Do your homework before you start spewing accusations aussie.

17. PhotoGra1

Not hardly...but I do depend on retail sales for my income.

plus -- HOW IS THIS PROTEST EFFECTIVE???

Nobody has said HOW or WHY this will work.

18. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

So as I understand it, a socialy responsible person will buy something, every day, as often as possible, every day, as much as they can afford, every day forever. Skipping one day of buying is to court economic disaster.

Buy something NOW!!! Spend your cash!!! Buy something NOW!!! Spend your cash!!! Buy something NOW!!! Spend your cash!!! Buy something NOW!!! Spend your cash!!! Buy something NOW!!! Spend your cash!!! Buy something NOW!!!

Is that the message that some people are sending, or did I misunderstand something?

19. ILoveMyGuitar

ILoveMyGuitar Member

I like the idea, but I don't know how effective it will actually be. One day of somebody not bringing a lunch instead of buying it? That's about what it will amount to for me. It's a statement, yes. But who's attention will it get? If you want to really make a statement, get alot of people to boycott gas for week or two, or products in some way associated with the military industrial complex. This protest is too broad. I don't really think anybody is going to be hurt by it, and actually that's probably what will make it ineffective. If we really want to make a statement, we should pick a specific target, put the word out, and do something for more than just a day in the middle of the week. Not One Damn Dime Day is a fine idea if you're attacking capitalism in general, so I probably still won't spend any money, but it's not making much of a statement about war, or Bush. But, at least people are trying to make a difference somehow, and that's a step forward.

Peace :)

20. atropine

atropine Member

you do know how much this wars costing.. right?..