no shampoo

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by BornHippy, Jul 26, 2011.

1. BornHippy

BornHippy Member

who doesnt use shamp and conditioner? how long was your 'greasy period'? Is baking soda realy drying? i thinking of using that and apple cider vinigar but not everytime. what is your experience? my hair is flat, straight, greasy and shoulder lentgh atm and buying vinigar in to days, stopped 2 days again

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

bunch of similar discussions in Flowing Tresses. Link in my signature.

See ya there!

3. MellowViper

MellowViper Member

That's all I've been using for months. I take a half liter water bottle, throw a tablespoon of baking soda in, fill it up with water, shake it, then pour it all over my head. I also throw a few tablespoons of ACV in the water bottle, fill it with water, and dump that on my head. Its a good system, and it works terrific. Get a bores bristle brush too, because it helps spread the sebum from you scalp through your hair more effectively than an artificial, plastic brush. I make sure to wash every other day. I've bought some jojoba oil recently, which chemically is very similar to sebum, and I dab a little bit on my scalp if it gets dry. It helps regulate the production of natural sebum as well.

I know its off topic, but I've been using a mix of 6 parts corn starch to 1 part baking soda as a deodorant. It works amazing, and I'm not contaminating my body with aluminum from commercial deodorants.

4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I tend to be sparing these days when it comes to washing hair, I think it began when the greys bits stated appearing and then upon seeing the hairs washed out when showering I kinda can't afford to lose as many - as well as ;)

5. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

I try to only use shampoo every second or third day. Even most hair stylists will tell you that shampoo-ing every day is bad for your hair. Of course, I hate having 'greasy' hair, but it takes a little while for that to start, so, like I said, every third day is a good time to shampoo.

I don't use conditioner as I am a male with relatively short hair and it would just be a waste of money.

6. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I have natural ringlets and curls. I wash my hair at most once a week,but I have to condition every day. I use styling product but only apply it from ear length down, as this is the only area it's needed when you style. This helps lessen the amount of times you need to wash your scalp, too. :)

7. lucy76

lucy76 Guest

hi
    I also agree with above comments.I also shampoo my hair thrice a week and do conditioning once a week.

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Funny, I'll condition and skip shampo!
    People are funny in personal quirks, aren't they?

9. MellowViper

MellowViper Member

I've been taking cold showers and washing with vinegar and baking soda solutions. It leaves just the right amount of oil in my hair to where I don't need conditioner. Warm water and commercial shampoos are terrible for hair, cause they strip too much sebum from the scalp, not to mention the fact the shampoos have cancer causing SLS in them.

10. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

I've been thinking about doing the 'no-poo' method, but I'm a bit of a wuss and tend to have oily hair.
    So I bought an organic Shampoo & Conditioner bar soap from The Soap Works.
    It's been working great, I actually just wrote a post on it. :D
    www.smalltownhippies.blogspot.com

Peace,
    -Mama

11. europa

europa Member

I don't use the conditioner, and it have been great ever. NOw I begin to use the extracted olive oil as the condition. It is very useful. But it doesn't differs a lot.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You should add coconut oil to your list.

13. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

Oh I love coconut oil...yummy AND moisturizing! ;)

Peace,
    ~Mama

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

i've been using baking soda and ACV rinse. not to brag or anything but i've got some good hair. It looks like shit when I use shampoo though

15. CandiiRainbow

CandiiRainbow Member

stopped using shampoo and conditioner in november 2011 :)
    my hair is great, tried babypowder (comb it out or rinse with water) it sucks up extra oil on the oily days, I had some left over from when I was pregnant, hehe, it was the only thing that kept me from being swetty xP
    also have tried avocado, little bit of lemon and olive oil, had it in the hair for about 10-20min then rinsed out with water ;)
    left the hair clean and soft :)

my bf uses baking soda about once a month to clean his hair, hes in his neglect dread journy :)

16. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

Hmm. That actually makes a lot of sense to shampoo less often than conditioning. It would allow for clean hair but without the stripping off of natural oils that leaves one's hair "beat-up" after shampooing.

I think I am going to start doing this tomorrow! I'll condition every day and shampoo every third day or something.

17. nedahardy

nedahardy Member

yes i did that 3 times a week not everyday much more on conditioner.

18. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

No Shampoo Or Conditioner Here For Just On 5 Years.

I Have Dreads And Don't Want Any Residue From Shampoo

And If I Used Conditioner I Would Never Get Dreads.

So I Use Baking Soda *bicarbonate of soda* And It's Perfect...:2thumbsup:.

No Oileness, No Dandruff, No Itching, Just A Perfectly Clean Scalp

And Hair, And It Only Costs $3.25 For 6 Months Supply...:).

Cheers Glen.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I shampoo/condition every 2-3 days or so.

20. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i shampoo every few days... conditioner makes my hair greasy, i shampoo just enoug to keep it clean.