no more scholarship...

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by miami musician, Jan 18, 2005.

1. miami musician

miami musician Senior Member

definitely not the first thing i wanted to hear this morning. i called mom, telling her to send cash for this semester's books when she tells me she got a little letter from the dean... uh oh, already sounded like bad news... apparently my GPA dropped below a 2.0 and now my scholarship has been revoked. well that's shitty. i knew i did bad last semester, but below a 2.0? damn...

so after talking to the dean, he said he could do absolutely nothing until i have talked to all of my professors in the classes that i failed last semester, and to ask them to retroactively drop those classes so that they get erased from my records, then maybe, MAYBE he can get my scholarship back.

2. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

That sucks. Keep us updated on everything. Hopefully, things will work out for you.

3. DrDooblittle

DrDooblittle Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

sorry to hear that man. hope you can get your scholarship money back. what classes did you fail?

4. miami musician

a few... CIS (computer information systems), MKT (marketing), ACC (accounting), and another one, i can't think off of the top of my head. there's a very reasonable explanation as to why this happened also, don't really feel like explaining right now, maybe later... but this made me realize that i have to do some MAJOR changing to my lifestyle, cause something that i'm doing isn't right.

5. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

i'm pretty much in the same boat as you man. it fucking blows man. i'm on academic probation, it fucking sucks. though, its good, cuz i'm pretty much forced to get help now, so thats good.

so heres to hoping me and you have better luck with this semester and in the future...

6. DrDooblittle

well i dont mean to brag, but im an academic honors scholar. and i can tell you that the one thing that seperates someone like me and you is work. not talent, because every human is capable of learning, with obvious exceptions. trust me, i smoke pot at least 3 times daily, drink weely, and hang out with my friends and do all that shit, but i just work my ass off in school. some people get discouraged or just blow off school altogether, but if you dont give up it will all come to you. trust me, with a little bit of hard work, you can ace all of your classes

p.s. i dont mean to sound like your high school guidance counselor bro, i just wish to offer a few helfpul words

7. Phsh Melt

Phsh Melt Member

Not to disagree but I wanted to let you know that Miami's classes involve more work then you could imagine. I made dean's list myself but if I were in Miami's major, I doubt I could even do that. University of Miami has one of the best music schools in the country....those kids take zero credit classes....it's rediculous.

8. DrDooblittle

first of all, im not a music major, im an earth science major. i also believe he said the classes he failed had nothing at all to do with music. and just to let you know there are other things out there that are just as hard and harder then music, and earth science too for that matter.

9. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

I must admit, I'm curious as to what the good reasons for why this happened.

Not to be a bitch, but when I first read the original post, my first reaction was "am I supposed to think you should get the scholarship back?" Frankly, if I were another student at your school, either someone else with the scholarship or someone who just barely missed out on getting it, I would be pissed if you got to keep it, unless of course you missed half of the semester because one of your parents had life-threatening cancer or something. If I'm working my ass off for a 3.6, yet you're not even making 2.0 & getting the same benefits I am, how is that fair? How is that cool? That's crap.

But, you say there's a good reason. In which case, you should be able to explain it to those profs & get it all taken care of. Next time you're having troubles, tho, talk to the prof when it first comes up, don't wait until the semester is over & the grades are already on your transcript.

10. Phsh Melt

Phsh Melt Member

yeh Drdooblittle (I love the name by the way)....I was just trying to say I can vouch that he worked hard b/c u said that's what made the difference, that's all :)

11. miami musician

since you all wanted to know what happened, here is the deal...

no my mother doesn't have cancer, she has diabetes (which is bad enough) and she's retired on disability. which basically means she doesn't pay for my schooling. she can't afford to. anyway, i basically go through school on my grades. this is the worst semester to date for me. i am NOT a lazy student, i don't really know why you all think i am. any semester i've had so far i've come out of with at least a 3.0 GPA...

last semester i did not have the money to pay for the semester. so, after going through classes for a month, they decided to cancel them, since it wasn't paid for. i stopped going to class because i had no way to afford it. i had given up hope and decided that if i couldn't pay, i couldn't go. thankfully the dean of the music school was able to get the funds in for me. thing is, this was two and a half weeks later, too late to drop classes, and we had maybe a month left of classes. i knew that i was too far behind to catch up on my academic classes, so i focused on at least getting good grades in my music classes, which i ended up doing.

so, frankly, i don't need anyone's advice to be hard working. i know how to do it. i really didn't appreciate people calling me lazy and shit because, well, this is a really rough time for me. so now you know the story, i hope you're happy, and take it as you will. but, i would appreciate it if you left the put downs to yourself.

12. Phsh Melt

Phsh Melt Member

13. Phsh Melt

Phsh Melt Member

And you need to call me...TODAY please!

14. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

Since you didn't provide any specifics as to why you had problems, I just assumed you were like the many other people that come on here to complain about grades -- no, it's not always fair, but between people on this forum & people I encounter in classes, it's hard not to stereotype. I get really sick of being in classes with people who don't bother to keep up with the reading because they'd rather be out partying or sitting on the couch smoking pot or whatever. I got no problem with people who actually try but just have difficulties. Unfortunately, just about every one of those people I've talked to had stupid reasons for falling behind.

You apparently are one of the very few people I've encountered in your situation who actually has a good reason.

For future info (for anyone else who might read this, too), whenever something like that comes up mid semester, go talk to the profs & explain the situation. Except the few who are real assholes, most will give you an "Incomplete" instead of an F, which would likely save you from the hassle you're going thru now. You eventually have to complete the coursework, or you get an F, but that gives you an extra month or 2 (or more, but you don't want to forget the early stuff!) to finish up.

15. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

old wise man said, you cant play the blues, until youve felt them . . . why do i still suck at music though . . . i guess theres always an exception. trust me, ive been to college 5 times, and i always failed cus i had to work to much to live . . . but its built alot of character . . . most say that i'm the biggest character they've met. since i tend to resemble that remark, i try to focus on the positives of it.