No Money In the Future?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Jimbee68, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Star Trek for one predicts there won't be. People will just do their fair share, and take as they need. In fact I'll even give you a year when this happens. 2160. Sounds about right, to me at least.

I do worry though how we will appease the big greedy corporations. We always have to do that.

In Aldous Huxley's Brave New World the corporations and people live in a benevolent utopia. If that is true, how will we do away with money? I mean can corporations exist still, if there is no money?

I await you replies :) .

2. I foresee this happening. There will come a time when the only method of buying and selling will be a plastic card with a bar code and those who do not have one will parish.

scratcho and DrRainbow like this.
  3. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Or a tattoo scan. Like QR Code.

scratcho and Witoutit like this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I don't have much money now...

5. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

None of us will be alive in 2160.

scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.
  6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well the replicators basically made money obsolete, and i expect something like that really will eventually happen.
    when you can make everything without hiring anyone to make it, no one will have any money to buy it with,
    but if everything we need can be made that way, this won't really be a problem.
    and a lot of people will continue to make things for the enjoyment of doing so, which will be the best kind of world,
    and for those who will be happy with a minimal kind of existence, no one will have to worry about eating or keeping warm.
    i know that sounds like big rock candy mountain kind of stuff, and advanced as our current technologies are becoming, we're nowhere near there yet.
    but its not like money ever absolutely had to be invented either.
    its been useful.
    its bridged the gap but its not like other desirable by everyone means couldn't have been devised if ideologies hadn't become so much of cults that people stopped looking for them.

7. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

8. TherWalkSv

TherWalkSv Members

I don't think that people can exist without money, so they used shells or animal skins instead of money to exchange for other goods even in ancient times. But I've heard that a lot of countries are really going to give up cash soon and it will be replaced with bank cards or other payment methods. By the way, now you can pay for any purchase using a smartphone and it's very convenient. And it's interesting that cashless payment is the only way to pay for a purchase in some stores. In addition, I found some interesting articles about money on the blog and just found out what is liquid net worth and how to calculate it correctly, you can visit this blog to learn more about it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

humans existed a long time before the invention of money. a much longer time then has passed since then. so i don't see what kind of sense its supposed to make to suppose humans can't exist without it. humans can't exist without, air, food, water, shelter, that sort of thing, but there's no natural connection making any of those things directly tied to the concept of symbolic value, nor even things that give us actual pleasure in the use of them, such as tools, toys and scientific instruments. grated the concept has motivated some of the people who created such things, but still no direct or absolute dependency. only circumstance of a statistical, but transitory condition.

great conveniences often create great risks. on line simulation of symbolic value creates additional vulnerabilities. some people are so used to living with sources of anxiety, that it never crosses their minds, that many of these are created needlessly. but those vulnerabilities are real, and the universe from time to time calls them in. several incidents have occurred, and the occurrence of more of them is inevitable.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  10. Roy Halister

Roy Halister Members

I thought for a long time that in our future there would be no money and people would get whatever they wanted. I borrowed this idea of a utopian civilization from Jacques Fresco. Then I started studying his biography and found many inconsistencies in his biography. I also realized that many of his inventions did not even have a patent! Then I began to delve into economics and realized that it is such a complex field that has been formed over centuries. So if money does disappear from people's lives, it will not happen for a very long time.

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

How would those without jobs and therefore no credit type cards, get food or clothing or anything else? If one saw , for example, a homeless Vet ( as one does often) how would one gift him a few bucks if there WERE no bucks to gift? I'm not sure of the real implications of suggesting a society with no physical money, or the true results of same, but I have heard this mentioned for 50 or 60 years. In the Solomon Islands shell money was and in some instances , still used as items of the interchange of goods and services. In many cases , the shells/ items were so big that that they were left in place even as they change ownership. Worked /s in a very small society.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

still not looking beyond the box of familiar assumptions. no one actually likes doing nothing, even if there were such a thing.
    it is easy and not unnatural to assume the familiar to be the default. quite often it is not, no matter how many of us assume it to be.
    the concept of symbolic value being fundimental is an example of this. nature gets along without, and has for billions of years before there were humans
    and even humans got along without it for the most part before agriculture, let alone more advanced technologies became widespread.
    we are now at the cusp of the point where technology itself can take the place of it, and i don't mean by emulating it, or we can follow its incentives to destroy ourselves instead.

how about no one would be homeless if they weren't told they had to own land to build shelter for themselves.
    how about informal employment. how about matching of the combination of interests and qualifications of an each of us, to requests for works to be done,
    technology, this internet being part of it, coughing up five or more options for each of us, as ever often as we might want them,
    and how bored we'd be if we didn't at least do things of personal interest. (can the world be run by doing only or mostly what is of personal interest? i've mentally tested that and it doesn't seem sufficient to expect this automatically, but what if, technologies and institutions were structured in such a way as to help it along. no i can't clearly lay out all of the details, but my inability to personally do so has never stopped anything from existing, and i do have something of a rough outline) getting the means of creativity into the hands of those who wish, sometimes despirately, to use them to exercize it. not an idological magic wand though. not suggesting anyone trust those, i don't. but what we have now, is just as much one, however much it belligerantly demands denying that it is.

and why not have and live in very large numbers of very small societies. i think the big problem is we keep being more of us, but that doesn't have to be that way.
    and i think there is an immovable object in the path of the seemingly unsopable force of human population increase. that by our sheer numbers we are destroying what it takes for us to exist.

currency has mostly become obsolete and is costing more to mint and print then its face value. the concept of it, whether shells or bit coins, is i believe more optional then the continuation of the species, which, even that is not hard wired into the universe either. i know a lot of things seem self contradictory, but we've reached that point, with human population, that makes them so.

i'm not saying there's any one certain answer, but rather, if anything that there's not.
    simply observing all things do eventually change, even underlying shared assumptions, however much, in a given moment, they may be clung to.

13. Roy Halister

Roy Halister Members

I agree that minting and printing money is no longer necessary. I am even certain that currency as we know it will soon disappear. Credit cards, cryptocurrency, stocks, and property have now taken their place. These all now represent our future. But it's still the same money, only previously traded in a bag of gold, then coins, then bills, and now electronic money.

14. Roy Halister

Roy Halister Members

P.S. I can't edit the post, so I'll add a thought.
    The disappearance of cash will depend on the region and term we are looking at: in some countries cash is likely to disappear, but in others it will remain and continue to be used for daily transactions by the population. I believe this will all happen on the same day that the stocks of all the big companies collapse due to another crisis, but it will probably not happen for a very long time.
    Arguments for cash to stay
    - Cash remains the main medium of exchange in poor countries
    - Cash is the best deterrent to identity theft (the best protection against identity theft is paying in cash.)
    - Privacy
    - Tradition
    - A 2017 report by ForexBonuses.org provides statistics showing the 10 most "cashless" countries. Here's the full list:
    1. Canada
    2. Sweden
    3. UK
    4. France
    5. USA
    6. China
    7. Australia
    8. Germany
    9. Japan
    10. Russia

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

as long as economics is based on the concept of symbolic value, the presence or absence of its physical representation is something of a lesser technicality.
    what i expect to see, were i to live another hundred years or so, is more diversity of approach, with the concept surviving or even reviving in some places while being abondon in others,
    and not on any bases of what you might expect to see from today.

when i talk about technology replacing the concept, what i mean is if you can download your cow to your replicator from some sort of internet, the whole argument, or most of it, for needing to use some sort of symbolic value as a place holder for the real value of usefulness, pretty much mostly evaporates.