No Means NO.

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by .Hannah., Jun 21, 2006.

1. .Hannah.

.Hannah. Member

How do you go through rejecting someone?

It's not easy but I've noticed that people sometimes go the subtle route, sometimes not to subtle to spare the other person's feelings but sometimes... it doesn't quite work out that way.

Maybe you don't give a flying fig.

What do you usually do?

What do you think is the best method? For friends who are on the verge or do ask you out,; and what about strangers/acquaintances?

2. AerialReaver

AerialReaver Member

I had a really good friend, that just wouldnt stop asking me out. It was really bugging me. She even threatened to kill herself if I didn't stop being her friend and be "more" than that. I just explained to her that I can't help who I like or who I feel attracted to or who I don't. I didn't feel that way about her. She didn't accept it at first but after a while she understood. Cause if she would've kept on pursuing it. I probably wouldn't have kept being her friends. They can't accept that you don't feel that way...fuck them! lol

3. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

I try the subtle let down route if I can
    "I didn't/don't feel any real chemistry with you, I think we could be good friends though, just not date each other" sort of a dealio

4. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

"No."
    "I don't like you."
    "Bye."
    Etc...
    and if the basics don't work,

"I've notice you don't understand the word 'no' when it is said nicely, so I've hired a skywriter to etch a message up there."
    -At this juncture, look and point upward, causing the numbnut to do likewise for a moment.-
    "NO"
    -at this instant, kick him in the balls as hard as possible.-

5. .Hannah.

.Hannah. Member

Yes. Yes, I think I will kick him in the balls. Excellent idea.

I can imagine it being a bit disconcerting and awkward having a good friend feel that way towards you, and not being able to change how you feel.

Once, I've felt irritated though. Instead of feeling diplomatic and after the initial flattered feeling wears off.. it's as if they're expecting something more to happen, for you to act a certain way. I despise it and almost hate it that there's that pressure to reciprocate. And I have felt very irritated with the way the other person refused to ease off or back off when their emotions and expectations were too much to handle.

I think rather than being irritable outright, I opted for just ignoring the issue and continued to distance myself, after trying the honest route and nothing got through. Good for you if you were patient to stick it out for a long while.