No Longer Hiding Behind Shadows

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by honeyhannah, Jan 29, 2005.

1. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

My mom finally knows I'm vegetarian, I am no longer in the closet.

I can't say how relieved I am...

I 'sorta' told her a few times before but it's like she didn't get it or she wouldn't except it and because she's so important to me that had a huge effect on me actually eating meat when I'd go back home to live her (on breaks & weekends)

Well it makes me feel like I don't have to hide anymore or worry about disappointing her because anything that I do that is different from how I was brought up makes her feel like a failure, like she wasn't a good mom, so I really never wanted to tell her, but it feels so much better now.

Now I can really call myself a vegetarian, if I want... yay!

Now I have to tell my dad, and see how the rest of my family will react.

Is anyone else in the closet?

2. Elle

Elle Senior Member

My grandmothers are the only two that don't know. Not because I am hiding it, but it's just that they live far away and since I don't eat with them I feel no need to tell them yet. I know that when I tell them I will hear a lecture on how I "need meat to be healthy" blah blah. And I just don't feel like explaining everything yet. But whenever I get around to visiting them I know the subject will arise as soon as we sit down to have dinner.

3. gertie

gertie Senior Member

my mom hide my vegetarianiam from my family at first. it was like she was afraid that somehow she had failed to them b/c i didn't eat meat. just be yourself.

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I ust heads up the members who have had time to forget, or its the first time I'm visiting in forever.
    My brother wrote me a paniced e-mail a couple years back. I told him what I'd be wearing ("Meat:It's what's rotting in your colon"--my running shirt) and he'd completely forgotten I'd gone veg about the time he moved out.
    So he writes: what to you eat besides not beef?
    I told him not to sweat it, he lives in Cal, I can find amazing food where ever I please...the Thai place asked if eggs were OK! We had "salad bar (bagged salads and lots of goodies on the table)" and I cooked for the three dinners I was there.
    My family grumbled that it was difficult (no, eastern colorado and eating out was difficult) but no one gave me much flack. A few nutrition questions, which I researched and answered, and a few "is such or thus Ok?"

5. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

its not like you could get stressed at for it.
    however, i did get chucked out of my friends' house a while ago. the conversation was thus
    me: skittle, why not just tell your dad you're veggie?
    skittle: ok. dad! i'm veggie (or words to that effect)
    her dad: stupid girl! how are you going to get protein?!
    skittle: *looking at me* i'll give blowjobs
    her dad: jes! out of this house now! i will not let you use my daughter like this
    me: ok, so she can get her protein from you? *run away*