Nightlife in Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by Marie-Clare, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Marie-Clare

Marie-Clare Member

Hey,

I'll be visiting Amsterdam for my birthday in July. Can anyone tell me what nightclubs we should check out? Looking for a place that plays rock/metal or live venues :cool:

Thanks.

2. rory

rory Member

Hi, not sure about actual nightclubs that play rock/metal but theres a quality bar and i think coffeeshop too near leidsplein that plays metal and i have heard a few live bands playing there too. It is on the same street as 'Topps' and 'Easy times' coffeeshops and the street goes off from 'keizerstracht' (excuse the spelling) tram stop (trams 1,2 or 5 from the station). Your man 'Marko' will probably know the name of the street cos he sounds like he knows his way around and seems to have a head for these things (i foolishly use canals and bikes as means of co-ordinating myself around!!) This is not, however, recommended.

3. velvet

velvet Banned

If your looking for a nice metal/hardrock kinda place with lots of gothic, punks, and 'normal' people, you should definately check out 'Korsakov'.. It's close to the corner of Marnixstraat and Lijnbaansgracht, but I can check out the actual address for you if you're interested. They stay open untill 04:00 if I'm not mistaken and it's free to enter. Small dancing floor, some space to sit and ofcourse place to just stand and soak up the atmosphere! It's not on a real tourist-route, so nice way to meet locals as well!

Let me know if you're interested and I'll look up the details for ya!

4. itsamagicallife

itsamagicallife Member

yes, Korsakoff is a great late night bar with hard rock / metal / gothic / punk music www.korsakoff.nl

a few minutes walk north of Korsakoff is the Soundgarden another bar with hard rock / metal / punk music with a great rear outdoor patio on a canal address Marnixstraat 164-166

in the Leidsplein area, there are several venues to check out:

the Cave is a late night bar with hard rock / metal / punk music and a live band once a week. www.thecave.nl

the Waterhole ( from the same folks as the Last Waterhole in the red light district) a bar with live music 7 nights a week. a bit more mellow music than you requested, but often some good rock, R&B, pop, soul, or funk. Jam sessions Sun-Wed, bands Thurs-Sat. address Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 49H

the Melkweg 2 great music halls. most nights have great live shows. Also late night DJ'S THURS-SAT. www.melkweg.nl

the Paradiso one large room (about 1300 capacity) and a small room (about 150 capacity) with lots of great live shows. Also late night DJ'S WED-SAT. www.paradiso.nl

at the far end of Vondel Park check out the OCCII www.occii.org

none of the above bars is a coffeeshop, but all allow your choice of smoke

enjoy

5. velvet

velvet Banned

ahhh.. Soundgarden.. *duh*.. place I usually go to when in Amsterdam.. yes, nice place :) Is open 'till 3 o'clock.. place to sit outside by the water (if the weather allows it), pooltabel, football-table (fussball.. whatever).. nice nice.. yes :)

6. RainbowLovinHippy

RainbowLovinHippy Member

Amsterdam rocks! Can't tell you any clubs because when we went it was just a far out daze of burning J's, eating hash cakes and drinking mushroom tea! lolol

The best cafe for us was a place called 'The Green House'. It's odd, because my then boyfriend and i had our first date in a lil club called the 'The Green House' in the UK. Then to top if off, when we got back, after a while we found out i had conceived out there! lolol.So, my drug affair was well and truly over for a while!
    Im sure you'll find a club you like, that's if your a$$ isn't wedged to the seat in a cafe and your legs feel like a dead weight! lolol ;)

Have fun! P. S, have your wits about you because it's easy to get lost. Everywhere looks the frigging same! Also, some taxis drivers try and take blatant liberties with us stoners, like parking behind a tram and waiting ages.
    I was like..Mr..we may be stoned..but we aint had a frigging lobotomy! :p