Nicotine Under-rated!

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by al-Hallaj Kabir Ali, Apr 2, 2007.

1. al-Hallaj Kabir Ali

al-Hallaj Kabir Ali Member

I suffer from bi-polar and schizoaffective disorder, but found this in the news:

"There are studies that demonstrate advantages of smoking in medical conditions, including psychological illness. Epidemiologists have validated what many mental health practitioners have long noticed: The smoking rate among people with schizophrenia, depression and anxiety disorders is far higher than average. It is widely believed that people with certain mental health problems are self-medicating with [tobacco] because the nicotine helps their minds function better.
    However, persons who wish to derive the benefits of nicotine for these conditions, or to help them deal with the stress of loved ones in distress, should be able to use non-tobacco forms of nicotine such as the patch."

P.S. I smoke cigars mostly, but when I have a cold or flu (and a cough, like now) and can't smoke, I put tobacco in my Green Tea. With sugar, it tastes just fine and seems to keep me more alert and alleviates my mental symptoms. The "patch" costs about $80 while a cigar is about a buck! Works for me . . .

2. spooner

spooner is done.

Or they're more prone to addiction.

3. 420fuchs

420fuchs speaks the truth.

I agree with spooner.

But do whatever helps you get through your day brother. If it's tobacco tea, so be it.

4. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

40% of cigarette smokers have a mental disorder....

5. al-Hallaj Kabir Ali

al-Hallaj Kabir Ali Member

By God! That's relief! I'm in the 60% of cigar smokers who are perfectly happy. Thanks!

6. Tommy1The1Cat

Tommy1The1Cat Senior Member

i think mary jane works for me i have bi polar also

7. Hobes

Hobes Member

not shure but i believe this is bull.
    could you give me your source

8. stonedmonkiwana

stonedmonkiwana K9 Handler

hmm.. I agree w/Hobes... can you give a source, please?

9. broony

broony Banned

I think this came from Time Magazine.

10. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

I think the reality is that about 90% of people with a mental disorder smoke...but there's no scientific proof of smoking causing mental health problems.

A drug won't create something that isn't already there.

It's just that most people with MH problems self medicate with nicotine. Crazy, we learned in psych that 99% of schizophrenics over 21 are smokers.

11. sentient

sentient Senior Member

cant understand why someone would want to give a positive angle on cigarettes - got shares in British American Tobacco??
    If nicotine is so great for this condition then use the gum - smoking is crap and will kill you with one of its 676 other chemical poisons - ps nicotine is used in weed killer (used to be)

12. astroneurologist

astroneurologist Member

I think it helps lessen the side effects from antipsychotics. But even off meds schizophrenics smoke more, they tend to have some mutant gene that codes for something that is somehow related to nicotine...sorry for the vagueness I don't remember the details.