newspaper in the garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Acorn, May 25, 2004.

1. Acorn

Acorn Member

has any one ever put newspaper between the rows of plants to keep the weeds out? i was wondering if that would work.

2. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

most paper, exposed to sun and water, will decompose in about a week or so, depending on how good it is. Not a very good idea, i don't think it would keep much out anyways

3. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Nah but I hear that using newspaper to make seed starters is a good way to recycle.

4. Erin

Erin Member

YeS is used newspaper in my no dig garden bed. and in my other vegie beds to kill the weeds then chucked on about 15-20cm od compost and soaked every otherday then about a month later i planted in it. worked ok, gave the worms something to munch on and i had no guildford grass growing in my vegie garden

5. aeshna5

aeshna5 Member

It will decompose rapidly, snails love munching paper, All my newspapers + cardboard are shredded + wetted + added to compost heap where they supply carbon + soon decompose with nitrogen rich green stuff.