news cast on pregnancy weight gain...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by barefoot_kirstyn, Apr 4, 2007.

1. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

2. jestelle

jestelle Member

i think they're insane. i gained 40 with my first and 30 with my second and while my second is only 5 months old, my 4 year old is a skinny little thing. eat healthy and appropriate portions and you and babe will be fine : )

3. Critter1223

Critter1223 Member

I am sure that is such a bunch of BS. Hot steamy BS! 25-35 is completely normal. Although it is very important to eat really healthy! I gained 70 lbs (with twins) and dropped down to the same exact size I was before. My girls are completely heathly and not overweight. I am 24w Pregnant now and gained about 17 lbs. which I think is just right. I feel good, I look good, and eating healthy! I actually feel skinny this pregnancy!
    And ya most of your weight gain goes to breasts, blood volume increase, the baby itself, water, placenta, water retention. So most of what they are claiming to affect anything goes away days after birth!

4. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

Oh, whatever. CTV's crack news team is at it again? They should stick to reporting crude oil and hog prices and leave the real news to the BBC.

My Mom gained well over 50 pounds with each of my sisters. They are now 5'9 and 5'11, and both earned sport scholarships to University. Neither of them has ever had a weight problem... hell, I didn't either, until I got pregnant and gained about 20 pounds.

CTV can go impregnate itself (except for Degrassi.. I love that show!)

5. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Ohay, look... I gained 40-45 pounds with each of my pregnancies. I have an 11yo DS that weighs 68lbs and a 7yo DD that weighs 44lbs. And that's AFTER they've both gone through serious growth spurts & actually put on some weight! For reference, that's at or below the bottom of the growth-charts for weight, and the middle to top for height. And they've ALWAYS been tall & skinny.

I think it has a whole lot more to do with genetics & diet, but that American scientists are desperate to pin it on ANY outside source to make people feel better. This just doesn't make any sense at all to me... because yeah, 2/3 - 3/4 of your pregnancy weight is everything BUT the baby!
    love,
    mom

(edited to add) I was curious & found an online growth calculator... DS is in the 12th percentile for weight, and the 70th for height. DD is in the 14th for weight and the 43rd for height. Guess she's not quite as tall as I'd thought ;)

6. stormyy

stormyy Member

I think fat toddlers are caused by parents feeding them crap food.

7. lucyloo

lucyloo Member

yikes. I have gained 50 lbs but im healthy, baby is healthy, and I usually don't feel to bad about it. But when I see stuff like this it makes me feel pretty crappy.

i agree its crap though. everyone is so different, every womans body is different, every baby is different... and they really shouldn't generalize it so much. I really agree that toddlers get fat bc their parents feed them crap...

I really wouldn't take this too seriously. Its your body and you know whats right for you. all that matters is that you stay healthy and have a healthy baby. screw the numbers.

8. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

yeah, when I read that I thought it was complete BS, too
    it really pissed me off, though.
    granted, I gained 60 lbs when I was pregnant with dd, and I'm sure I've already gained about 15 with this one...I can't seem to stop gaining so much when I'm pregnant. I'm so friggin tired I have NO energy but I have to eat all the time or else I feel sick as a dog. Seeing stuff like this really makes me feel crappy.
    That, and I really don't think that it's smart to be broadcasting something like this when there are other expectant moms out there who may really not know better and start dieting at the risk of having a "fat baby." Pure idiocy!

9. stormyy

stormyy Member

Don't worry about the weight gain! I went from about 120lbs to 185+lbs!

It's taken 13 months, but I am almost back to my pre-preg size. My baby is healthy and in no way obese! As long as you aren't scarfing cheetos and poptarts all day long you will be fine!

10. starryeyedserpent

starryeyedserpent Member

Just disgusting is what it is. I was about to say something about there being an epidemic of anorexia among pregnant women, but barefoot kirstyn beat me to it. BTW Honey I was just like you! Had to eat all the time but could barely work up the energy to tak a walk every evening...but I had to do that too or I would get sick ;) I seriously do hope no women end up hurting their babies by going on diets though! That's a scary thought man!

11. MudFlower

MudFlower Member

I don't think they should pay attention to weight gain during pregnancy, as long as you are still health and moving around and trying to make good food choices ( craving are hard to surpass) then I believe you're doing good. My Dr was worried that I lost 3 lbs and made me go back in 2 weeks to check my weight. Sometimes they don't understand that your body can be 5 lbs heavier and 5 lbs lighter day to day. I gained 39lbs for my son, and he was born weighing 8lbs 4oz, now he's almost a year and half and weight almost 30 , but is in no way fat, he's just a large healthy boy.