New Zealand to ban military style semi-automatic weapons...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ajay0, Mar 24, 2019.

1. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

"In the middle of a city the gunman shot people for seven continuous minutes, left the area to another mosque across the city, nearly fifteen minutes away, and killed seven more people until he was confronted by a potential victim who was worshiping at the mosque when it came under attack. According to Abdul Aziz, he first confronted the shooter by throwing a credit card machine at him, then ducking behind cars to prevent being shot, only to chase him down again after picking up a gun the terrorist had dropped earlier.

Abdul Aziz prevented more bloodshed with his decisive and aggressive response. He used improvised tools as well as the shooters own gun to stop the attack. The State and the police on the other hand were unable to respond in a timely manner. They did eventually stop him and now believe that he was on his way to a third mosque. The mantra, “when seconds count, cops are just minutes away” has renewed weight after this mass shooting. In fact, intelligence agencies set the stage by averting their gaze from white nationalist organizing under their nose and ignoring right wing extremism entirely from their intelligence gathering.

A blanket disarming of an entire populace under the barrel of police and military guns is just the thing a State with a terrified and vulnerable community do. Assuredly, if firearms were to remain available, Muslims and members of other targeted communities would begin to arm up in earnest, which is too threatening and challenging to the established order. The government did however manage to ignore warnings from within the community about the gun club the shooter was a member of. They were told by a concerned member of the community who had visited the gun club that members openly Islamophobic and proudly displaying confederate flags – proving once again that it’s a symbol of white terrorism. The concerned person was given no serious thought by authorities."

- Anarchist & Antifascist Thoughts on The New Zealand Shooting

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Only nuts who want to go into combat with other humans want all that ammunition. People who truly hunt are not concerned since you don't need to shoot much. But if you plan to fight guerilla style for months you want a lot. If you think the abilty to buy is gone you want a lot. Of all the guns I've been around only militia members buy 1,000 of rounds several times a year. Everyone else goes to Walmart that day and buys enough to carry. This fact is known to most people. So long term laws that regulate this are likely.

The Ak-47 is specifricly deigned for military applications not hunting with full auto fire (either from you or the manufacture) and very powerful rounds that can penetrate some armors. It has no place in your own argument of hunting or defense. A shotgun is the best for the close quarter fighting you are looking for.

Ak is for long range and multi-target. Shotguns are not good for war unless you are in the trench with them. Maybe why only one Marine will have one most have the m-16.

You want it for this reason. IF you needed to fight Uncle Sam it's good. Only drawback vs m-16 uncle sam has is the ak is not as accurate.

3. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Are you saying only nuts join the military? First off, it depends on what you're hunting. For example wild hogs can be lethal at close range so if you miss, you'll have fast follow ups. Second, AR15s and AKs both have 5-10 round magazines.
    See above.
    Those are rookie numbers. You need at least 500 rounds to break in a new gun and many times that to keep your skills sharp.

Civilian AKs are not automatic. Also the 7.62x39 commonly used by the AK is LESS powerful than rounds commonly used in the classic hunting rifle.

Says you.

That's debatable.

Actually, it was designed for intermediate ranges. Meaning it was designed like a Jack of all trades. It's not specifically intended for long range shooting. In fact it never was.

Then why is the Remington 870, Mossberg 590, and Benelli M4 issued to our military today? They still have there place.
    You state that the AK is for long range shooting in one sentence and then state here that they're not accurate? Which is it?

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol, all the knowledge comes from Battlefield and Call of Duty games, man. :sweatsmile:

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

We have already debunked the, "I need an AR 15 to hunt wild hogs" argument a while ago when someone posted a video of a charging wild hog to illustrate the need. It was brought down with one shot.
    Only amateur hunters need that sort of weapon. And they shouldn't be hunting those sort of animals.

Just to illustrate this...if an AR15 is needed to hunt wild hogs...why do many people use a bow?

stormountainman likes this.
  6. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

An old time 30-30 works just fine on hogs

7. lode

lode Banned

Many people aren't hunting hogs for fun like the gentleman with the bow. They're hunting hogs because they're an invasive species that are destroying their crops. They may not be expert hunters. but still need to protect their land from a dangerous invasive species.

Assault riffles get the attention because of mass shootings, but the US's gun problem are primarily with handguns.

*I don't know why they used all shades of blue for their chart.

[​IMG]

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Really Lode, I acknowledge your arguments. But I'm also certain one doesn't need to hunt/scare off those hogs with an assault rifle. That's an unneccesary choice to make.

9. lode

lode Banned

You probably don't. But I'm a city boy and the most dangerous animals I come across are these bastards. They'll dive bomb your head in the Spring.

[​IMG]

Just trying to put myself in the place of someone who does farming. Mass shootings are a problem, and really the only need for assault weapons is man-slaying.

That said, I think I'm more in favor of tightening background checks, preventing crazy people from getting guns, and dealing with mental health problems and the growth of hate groups then I am an all out ban on semi-automatic weapons.

10. Maccabee

One well placed shot can kill anything. That's not the argument. The argument is what if you miss or don't have a good shot to kill a hog with one shot? Even our special forces has an average accuracy of 5 shots.
    I never stated that they're needed. I stated that they have there place. Not many people are good at bow hunting and I'd like to see you being accurate and fast with a bow if you have one charging at you, much less a whole herd.

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The far majority of assault rifle owners never sees a wild hog (or other animal) charging at them or even buys it for that purpose.

12. MeAgain

Exactly, if you can't safely hunt your prey, take your chances or don't hunt them.

If you miss with your one shot, tough shit for you...don't hunt wild hogs.

McFuddy and stormountainman like this.
  13. stormountainman

I'm for a total ban on guns and diesel pickups. Just look at what these militia guys did in Oregon at the bird sanctuary, the state general assembly, and in New Mexico at the border. We need to take away their guns and put them in re-education camps.

14. stormountainman

They could go to the store and buy some bacon if they are afraid of live pigs?

15. parua

parua Members

Just like money...even if we have all we need, some need more.

Although a bow is sufficient to supply food, for some it won't seem as effective in killing feelings of powerlessness and fear as an AR15 will.

16. Maccabee

You can never be 100% safe while hunting, especially dealing with wild and dangerous animals. If I hunt, I'm taking every practical precautions as possible. You saying that is like wanting to remove airbags and then saying that if you can't drive safely then either take your chances or don't drive. How about you don't dictate what I hunt with and let me make that decision for myself.
    You're talking about someone potentially being maimed or killed if they missed, not simply losing out on a successful hunt and a head mount. Think what you will about hunting, but don't be dismissive about missing a shot when even Special Forces aren't held to such standards.

17. Maccabee

Why diesel pickups of all things?

18. Maccabee

Hogs are considered vermin in some areas. So we need hunters to keep the population in check.

19. MeAgain

You're never 100% safe doing anything.
    The Special Forces are confronting enemies of this country who are armed in a similar manor and are trying to kill them. Wild hogs aren't armed and are only trying to stay alive. If you don't want to confront them and possibly be injured, don't hunt them.
    When you hunt dangerous animals you are always taking a chance. Using your logic, I should carry a carry a BAR, wear body armor, and never get out of my Jeep when I hunt hogs.

Airbags are devices designed to aid in situations resulting from calamitous occurrences, they don't prevent those occurrences.
    You're arguing that an AR type weapon will prevent a calamitous occurrence. Not a valid comparison.

You're also arguing that poor shots need more shots because they can't hit their target and thus may be injured.
    I'm not arguing that poor shots should be restricted from hunting dangerous animals, I'm arguing that just because poor shots choose to hunt dangerous animals that isn't a rational for allowing the public to own and use weapons that can be turned against he public in devastating ways. Wild hogs can be safely hunted with a bow.

A study by John J. Mayer of the Savannah River National Laboratory in 2013 gives the probability of being attacked by a wild boar (note this includes all injuries however minor):
    Chance of being bitten by a dog, 1 in 112,400. Only four fatal attacks by wild boar have ever occurred in the U.S. (243 years)
    Here's a popular gun used for hunting elephants, cape and water buffalo, and Alaskan Brown bear, arguably just as dangerous as wild hogs. Note that it's a bolt action.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  20. stormountainman

I like to irritate bullies.