New Tattoo Missing Ink

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by eyesonmywall, Jan 13, 2009.

1. eyesonmywall

eyesonmywall Guest

I had my second tattoo done about 2 weeks ago. I went to the same shop that I had gone to for my first tat. It's on the underside of my forearm, near my elbow, and it's done entirely in black ink. The actual design was done great, but now there are areas where the ink is missing. It seems to be healing well, it's not red or painful at all, but the more I look at it the more areas I notice that the ink is blotchy or completely missing. I was washing it twice a day with antibacterial soap and putting Bacitracin on it for the first 3 days. I've since just been keeping it clean and moisturizing with Eucerin lotion.

Is this normal? Should I go back to the same artist to have a touch up or should I go somewhere else?

I'm probably just being paranoid, but I don't want to go back for a touch up just to have it screwed up again. Thanks!

2. Anistaulia

Anistaulia Member

Well, if I remember correctly you're supposed to let it set for a few hours before washing, so I hope you did do that, but either way it shouldn't bleed out like that. I would suggest going back to them or a different place if you're not feeling too trustworthy anymore, and asking a professional opinion. I'm assuming that you never had this problem with your first tattoo.

3. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

I'm wondering the same thing about mine. To my understanding, many tattoos need to be touched up after the inital inking. This is because of swelling during te proces that leads to some places not absorbing the ink or even causing the artist to miss a few spots. I suggest just going back for a touch up in a few weeks. Especially since it's done in black the artist can just go in and retouch the spots that have faded throguh healing. My tattoo artists actually expects his customers to come back after a few weeks so they can check for faded ink and they touch it up for free. That's one of the benefits of going to a professional that is willing to take time and help their clients acheive the best results possible from their tattoos. Why not post a pic so some of our hip tattoo experts can examin the damage! Don't worry though, totally happens a lot. Good luck and be safe, dont let some maniac fuck your skin up!

4. sideshowbobstylee

sideshowbobstylee Member

I have luckily never had this problem with any of my tattoos. I heal really fast and dont scab up that bad. Generally, when you are getting a lot of area covered there is a chance that you will have to go back for touch ups. Depending on how good the tattoo artist is, sometimes they miss area altogether, or they will just not get enough penetration in some areas for the ink to hold.

Usually, I dont wash mine for about 5-6 hours after they are finished. I lightly rub warm water and dove (doesnt sting) on it and then just splash water on it to rinse it.

If you scab up, resist the urge to scratch. If you pull a scab off with force there is more of a chance of losing color and of getting a nasty scar on your new ink (i havent ever lost color--but i have a bad scar on my arm that gets puffy from time to time).

Don't sweat it though. Most tattoo parlors do touch ups for free because it is expected that on a big tattoo there will be some loss of color. If it is really bad I would say either you messed up in care at some point, or the artist just needs to practice some more. I like my artists to have a "heavy hand" because the color is WAY better. Scars are a risk, but not likely if you care properly.

Best of luck.

5. sideshowbobstylee

sideshowbobstylee Member

You are right about this. And depending on where your tattoo is located you may need to get it touched up several times.

Elbows, the neck, hands, feet---alot of places dont like to tattoo them because the skin regenerates and sheds so quickly that your tattoo is essentially not permanent.

Anytime you are out in the sun a whole lot you will also lose color. Anytime you shed skin you will lose color. Sun screen is important on tats you want to stay crisp and bright.

But again, no matter where your tattoo is, it will fade. Not so much as years past since ink is so much better now, but if you want them to stay bright you may have to go back after a decade or so to get it touched up.

6. eyesonmywall

eyesonmywall Guest

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/album.php?albumid=2299&pictureid=17333

Here's a pic. It's sorta blurry, but I hope you can see the worst of the missing ink on the bottom right, where the stem of the lotus is.

I'm glad that others have said it's normal. I'm just really upset that it would turn out to be messed up. I waited 6 years between getting my first one and this one...to have it be screwed up would just suck.

7. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

The link is broken. Please post it again sweetie

8. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Having ink fall out is not that uncommon =, especially on areas that get alot of movement. If tons of ink are falling out, the artist might have overworked your skin, but, if it's fairly minor, its normal.

Most tattooists will do the touch up free or at minimal cost.

Steps to avoiding patchiness:
    1. Go to a good artist who will show you pictures of hishealed work.
    2. Follow a good aftercare regime.
    3. Don't pick/poke/slap/harass/scratch/touch/rub/cover with clothes or otherwise fuck with the new tattoo.

By3/4 days the tattoo is much more durable, but should still be treated gently for 2 weeks.

9. eyesonmywall

eyesonmywall Guest

hmm... any better? I clicked the link on my end and it seems fine.

if not there's a pic in my photo album under my profile.

Thanks again for the feedback!

10. torilynne52290

torilynne52290 Member

yeah ive read that depending on the spot that you get it done at, the colors you use, and the design you get done its not unlikely to have spots of the design missing. generally if its got no color you'll have that happening because its harder to distinguish whats been colored in already and what happens especially if its got really bold lines. also areas that get touched a lot-feet, hips, shoulders, etc- by clothes also tend to have chunks missing because of the rubbing. best bet would probably be to just let it heal up fully then go get it redone and be extra careful not to rub up on it too much.