New Stratagies for Coping, the Old Ones are Not Working

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by SafetyPin, May 27, 2007.

1. SafetyPin

SafetyPin Banned

Much of my time these days is spent trying to make friends with myself. One of the ways I do this is by talking to myself. I talk to myself inside my own head which I think is entirely acceptable, but I often talk to myself out loud too. This is not acceptable by conventional standards of society. However I have always been one to push what is acceptable by convention to the brink.

So I tell myself and try to convince anyone else who will listen that talking to myself out loud is just my way of coping with a world around me that has literally gone mad. A coping "strategy" in other words.

Now I have discovered that I can do practically the same thing on the net by posting to myself in my own thread(s). Just another unconventional coping strategy which has been very effective.

But can anyone suggest some new coping strategies for me so I can continue to be friends with myself. Talking to myself out loud and posting to myself in my own threads doesn't seem to be working anymore.

2. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

I pretty much think almost everyone talks to themselves when under stress, so no worries.

Another idea is to write in a journal. Also, don't underestimate the value of talking to another person. Humans are social beings. Keeping yourself in a vacuum many not allow you to move foward. Try finding someone you trust to talk with.

3. SafetyPin

SafetyPin Banned

I kept journals for muccho years, still have them, and beleive me I do not underestimate the value of talking to another person. If there was someone to talk to I would much rather talk to them then myself. Maybe trust plays a large part in it but to me it just seems like there is nobody to talk to, trustworthy or not.

My question to you is, am I the one putting myself in a vacuum or is it the rest of this violent and nutty world that is doing it to me? I think the latter but I'd be more than open to a different point of view. I only wish that someone could tell me that it is not so in a way that I would have no trouble understanding.

One final thing. I'm more worried about falling backword then I am about not moving forward. Falling backward terrifies me!

4. legend 1967

legend 1967 Member

Realize that it is people who can bring harm or problems
    into your life. Sadly,great people are difficult to find.

I believe it best to always be a friend to yourself.

Manny people are certainly alienated, victims of violence,
    & dysfunction.

We live in the present, awaiting a future time, hopefuly good.

5. umm...ya

umm...ya over joyed!

The fact that you see what is going on in your life and you strive to make it better is a very good thing. So many people talk to themselves I do it all the time. You are going forward by wanting to improve on what you have already job and I commend that.