New shit has come to light, man.

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by scratcho, Oct 21, 2020.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Jeff Bridges diagnosed with lymphoma. However--THE DUDE WILL ABIDE.

stormountainman and Reverand JC like this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I know so many going through this right now. I have to wonder what is causing so many lymphomas?

Is our lifestyle catching up with us?

stormountainman likes this.
  3. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The perception is likely a function of your age, or the ages of those you most commonly interact with. Jeff Bridges is 70. The average age of patients at diagnosis of non-Hodgkin lymphoma is 66, so consistent with his age. If you are over 60 and associate mostly with people over 60, that is probably why you perceive more cases.

Jeff Bridges hasn't been specific about the type of lymphoma, but Hodgkin lymphoma is much more rare and it generally affects people in their late-teens through 30s, so he probably has the more common cancer that commonly affects people his age.

I say that it is your perception of "so many lymphomas" because the number of new cases is actually steady in recent years, little changed. It isn't on the rise. The fatality rate from the disease is declining, so that's good.

sherman march and ~Zen~ like this.
  4. ~Zen~

@NubbinsUp Just a perception of mine from all the people I know afflicted with this.

5. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Cognitive bias is powerful indeed.

~Zen~ likes this.
  6. ~Zen~

Glad to hear that!

7. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Roundup and 2-4-D chemicals.

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. ~Zen~

I have to agree. I once had a salesman for Roundup argue with me passionately claiming that the main ingredient was perfectly safe... thing is he would not discuss what else was in there that was really making people sick. Talk about blind-faced.

You would not believe the amount of dangerous chemicals marijuana growers will pour or spray on there plants to make a few more bucks.

And then they have the nerve to market it as 'medicine.'

9. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

I knew a few guys in Colorado who died of Non-Hodg lymphoma and they smoked back in the days when Reagan was using Paraquat and similar chems on weed growers. I don't know when Roundup and 2-4-D was introduced in America but I list it right on top with Paraquat.

~Zen~ likes this.