New Police Camera in Vegas!

Discussion in 'Nevada' started by MattInVegas, Aug 10, 2007.

1. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Okay. The 'Las Vegas Metropolitan Police dept' recently installed a 24/7 Video camera in a public place. Security??? Or 'Big Brother'??? You choose.

2. zillagod

zillagod Member

I have a feeling you are talking about Fremont St. and 15th St. I think it is long past due to have a camera there. I dont live very far from there, and for two years I worked at a place on Fremont St and 17th, 2 blocks away. That whole area is a bad area, and if the camera can help, then so be it, I am all for it. I dont consider it Big Brother watching, or invasion of privacy, or anything of that matter. I aint a law breaker and I am all for anything that aids in catching those who do break the law. So, the camera doesnt bother me one bit and I am all for it and I hope it helps a nasty neighborhood.

3. MattInVegas

Yes, it is the one at 15th and fremont. Yes that is a bad area. Where I live is covered by newscams. (Rio, Flamingo and the Strip)
    They say, that camera can see seven blocks even in darkness.

4. Puffis

Puffis Member

Definantly Big Brother, any surveillance is Big Brother, because the government uses it to monitor us ALL! No matter where or why the placed it. This is not to say that I am for or against security systems this is just to say that the FBI and CIA have the authority to use it to monitor people, even if they say they don't, because they also say the don't have the authority to tap our phones without warrants.

5. MattInVegas

Thing is, I'm not sure the public can view this camera feed, but we can view the traffic cameras. I can see when you run a red light...

6. zillagod

zillagod Member

According to the last two posts, what does this matter? If you aint breakin the law, you have nothing to be worried about. But what goes on in this neighborhood needs to be policed. I heard that the camera has already been of good use. They caught a drug dealer who would try to put his stash in a garbage can, and then accept money from another who would then proceed to the can to pick up his bounty. This was all caught on camera. Hey, I may do drugs at times, and I do break the laws at times, but this crap that goes on in this hood has to stop, and the hood has to be cleaned up. I know, I dont live very far from this area, and I worked for over 2 years in this exact area. I am all for cleaning up the streets. It helps tourism, and it helps the locals. I used to get my drugs through the private sector, when I did drugs that is. It dont belong on the street.

7. MattInVegas

I've stayed at Sunflower. I agree that area really does need some help. I'm just trying to see how everyone feels about it. Although, a decent intelligent debate is sort of rare on the forums lately, It will be welcome. No Flaming, or haters allowed please.

8. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

One camera in one location is not an issue.

These public agencies are awash in tax money and are going to expand thier powers and domains.

The big picture counts.

Who wants to vote for a tax increase?

9. zillagod

zillagod Member

10. MattInVegas

Exactly. Try this link. It's only traffic cameras, but you can see some of the tourists and can watch the new years eve parties.
    http://www.nvfast.org/trafficcameras.html

11. Racheechee

Racheechee Member

It's a good thing. If it bothers a person to be watched by a security camera then they shouldn't commit a crime in public.

I don't worry too much about the Big Brother thing. Big Brother doesn't want to mug me.

-Rachel

12. boobytrap

boobytrap Member

big brother can watch all he wants,maby he will learn some respect.having cameras in public places is a good thing.when they start buzzing my back yard with drones and invading my home with there cameras.then i will complain and probly shotgun the drones like harry corn did on the tv show harrys law.