New Grower

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing' started by KeepUp, Nov 16, 2010.

1. KeepUp

KeepUp Guest

Hey everybody, I'm new to these forums and new to growing and I have a couple questions and would greatly appreciate any advice I can get. I plan to do a small, couple plant operation in a closet using a compact florescent light.

First off, the seeds I'm going to use were taken from an outdoor plant while I'm planning to grow indoors.. Does this make a difference?

Second, I will be using a small fan for ventilation. Should I place it low to the floor, make a little platform and have it about midway or put it on a shelf at the top?

Thirdly, whats a good basic soil mix for a beginner (not too expensive either)? I already have access to perilite and peat moss. Also, I'm going to plant a bunch of germinated seeds in plastic cups and then transplant a few of the strongest when they're ready. Is this a good way to go (keep in mind its my first time)? How big of a pot will I need to a hold a mature plant?

Lastly, the closet I will be using is already painted white but the paint is flaking off in some parts. What should I do to the walls to minimize moisture damage and be the best for my plants? One friend recommended covering the walls with something he called "Black and White" and another recommended aluminum foil. The closet is also very tall (about 11 feet), do I need to cover the entire thing, ceiling and all?

Thanks in advance for any insight given!
    I cant wait to get growing :D

2. KeepUp

KeepUp Guest

Also, in a lot of guides I'm reading they are saying to keep the humidity of the grow space at around 40-60%. What they don't say is how to control the humidity.. Do I just spray some mist in the closet lol?

What about plant food/nutrients? Any recommendations?

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

sounds good so far.. But youre missing one thing... A LAMP..:sunny:

4. Rocklobster

Rocklobster Senior Member

Indoors out doors should.nt make much difference. Soil use four parts loam (soil) based to one part perlite and half vermiculite. White paint or foil ok for the wall. Like having my fans and venting higher then the plants. I like to plant in 4-6 inch pots enough to get them to sexing stage before needing a re pot.

5. purple_sticky_punch

purple_sticky_punch Guest

follow this advise but also the floresnt lights will only get you thru the veg. stage not the flowering stage (veg. stage is the first part of the plants life when all its trying to do is grow tall lights should be 18-20 on and 6-4 hours off. i use 20-4 for this stage (clones should have 24 hour light until they are 5-7 days old) after the plants have gotten about 3/4 the hight you want the next stage is the flowering (i use timers for my lights. almost a must) the light should swich to 12/12 on/off this lets the plant know its starting to become winter and the buds will start to grow and it will still grow a little taller (about 3/4)
    also for the walls if your worryed about the dampness in the room i would go with outside valspar paint the diff is the outside valspar is a latex paint and wont let any moister seep into the wood in your closet.
    like i said before the floresnt light is fine for veg. but it does not have the right spectrum of light to make it flower most people use metal halide lights for the veg. stage. for the flowering stage you need high pressure sodium bulbs and you need to mesure the closet to see what wattage your going to need for the area of your closet heres some specs on the diff wattage (hps) bulbs
    specs on the light
    250w light; inital lumen output(lm)-30,000.intensity at 1'-30,000.intensity at 2'-7,500.intensity at 3'-3,333. area of coverage-0.6mx0.6m(2'x2'). minimum gap between lights and foliage-15cm(6").
    400w light; inital lumen output(lm)-50,000. intensity at 1'-50,000. intensity at 2'-12,500. intensity at 3'-5,555. area of coverage-0.9mx0.9m(3'x3'). minimum gap between lights and foliage-25cm(10")
    600w light; inital lumen output(lm)-90,000.intensity at 1'-90,000. intensity at 2'-22,500. intensity at 3'-10,000. area of coverage-1.0mx1.0m(3.3x3.3) minimum gap between lights and foliage-35cm(1.1')
    1,000w light; inital lumen output(lm)-140,000. intensity at 1'-140,000. intensity at 2'-35,000. intensity at 3'-15,555. area of coverage-1.2mx1.2m(4'x4') minimum gap between lights and foliage-45cm(1.5')

thair were some astrixs written at the bottom of the page i got this info from they go as follows 1. (pertaining to intensity at 1') the inverse square law defines the relationship between light emitted from a point source and distance(i.e. intencity = light output / distance squared). 2.(pertaining to area of coverage)assumes lights are mounted vertically. 3.(pertaining to minimum gap between lights and foliage) assumes lights or shades not cooled. gap can be reduced by useing cooled shades/lights.

its alot of work growing inside not really something you can just jump right in. i would suggest that you get them started in the veg. stage and while they are going you need to spend all of your free time reserching the subject. and for the love of all things cannabis keep the bugs out.lol.
    good luck and happy growing

6. purple_sticky_punch

purple_sticky_punch Guest

i forgot to answer your seed question the seeds should be fine as long as they diddnt come from something you found in a ditch somewhere. only thing is if they are male or female. with cannabis male is king, you can turn a female into a male but you cannot turn a male into a female. im shure if you search this fourm youll find some pics of what male and female plants look like (female has hairs males have balls) if you apply stress to the plant that is female (lack of light, not watering enuff, sitting the plant outside in harsh weather) you may turn the plant into a male(some people use these ways to feminize seeds but it is very hard to do it without turning them into males) i would suggest you grow as many as you can fit in your closet you need to pull male plants out as soon as you can tell the diff.(not noticeable until flowering stage) try to catch as early as possable.

7. chrizt1an

chrizt1an Member

Grow quality seeds (strains) only especially if its for personal use u don't want some harsh smoke.

For the fan your going to have to get some fresh air going in that closet.
    Try to get two fans if you can

As for soil I have no idea but my friends choose and claim that foxfarms soils are the best especially the blue bag with the fishes on it. Get it if you can find it.
    I did some readin in the past and they said that foxfarm with worms was even better idk man my advice its get foxfarm and stay away from miracle grow.

Get some sun reflective. You know the stuff you put in your car window to block off the sun.
    Works better than foil.

Hope this helps