New Foto of My Old Honda

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by Shale, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Shale

Shale ~

In 1973 I took a road trip on a Honda 450 motorcycle. Went from New Orleans and visited friends in Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, and Kansas City then back to New Orleans where I sold it.

In all those travels, no one got a foto of me and my bike. So today I put one together of someone else's bike from that period and an old foto of myself:

[​IMG]

Now I don't have PhotoShop. This is an old fashioned paper paste-up that I scanned. The pic of me is actually from 1970, a little less beard than in 73, and the hair was not shoulder length. But, I often wore a pony tail so we'll assume that is what I was doing in this pic. :p

The low-res and graininess looks like a lot of Instamatic pix of the day and also helps hide some of the flaws of my less than perfect reconstruction.

But, it gives me an illustration of a fun year in my life, riding my beautiful solitary machine all along the state highways and Interstates.

2. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

Fucking rice burner!!!! LOL!!!!

Zen

3. tanasi

tanasi Member

Hey those old rice burners ran forever,I had a 1975 550four and there are still some of them out there running around.

In the 60's a cousin of mine took a Honda fifty from Miami to Key west and back, I think he took one dollar with him.

4. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

Guess you missed the..."LOL" at the end of the post. Just fucking with Shale.

I owned a 650 Triumph in the 60s. My brother had a Kawasaki.
    He graduated to a KZ900...I bought a Harley panhead.
    I'd send him a 10lb. bag of rice for Christmas...he'd send a 6-pack of motor oil. (old Harleys DO leak oil.)

In the late 60s gas was 19cents per gal. I could fill my VW bug for less than $2.

Zen

5. tanasi

tanasi Member

A guy that I worked with presented me with a crank, he had made, and said it was to wind that honda up.

Yea when gas was .19/gal, I had a 61 pontiac tempest with a four banger,we use to get 25 cents worth of gas, five dollars worth of beer,a dime bag and head to the river. That was a hell of a party for $16.25.

6. Wond'ringAloud

Wond'ringAloud Member

My dad had a Honda back in the late 60s early 70s, grand little bike. I used to ride pillion with him. Loved it!

7. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

Gotta admit there was one little Honda I enjoyed. My brother, at the tender age of 14, was already a crackerjack bike mechanic. One day he asked me if I'd help him pick up some parts he'd bought to build a new bike. We packed my van with this little frame and a bunch of parts, tires, etc.
    Two weeks later he called me into the garage to proudly show off his new Honda 70 automatic. Yea, it had an auto tranny!
    That little thing was a hellava lot of fun. Little bro and his buddies built a motorcross track down in the lower 40 and we had great times tearing it up with that little Honda!

Zen

8. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

In 1976 my husband and I rode a Honda 750 from Arizona to Canada, then over to the coast and back down. Lots of wonderful memories from the trip, but the thing I remember most was when he left his wallet at a gas station in Blanding, Utah.

We were about 100 miles up the road when the Utah Highway Patrol ran us down and pulled us over. We were thinking "oh shit" when he strolled up to the bike, handed us the wallet, and said "This yours?"

He was a very nice guy and we bought him a burger in Moab, which back then was pretty much a ghost town. Got a few strange looks ... this crew-cut UHP cop and two weirdos. Too bad all of them weren't that nice ..

9. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I still have a 1975 Kawasaki 175 cc bike. I love it. Runs pretty good.