New England or Old England ( the UK), which England is better to live in?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Grandeur, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

New England or Old England ( the UK), which England is better to live in?

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Never been to the UK but I'm New England born and raised. Like anywhere, it has its pros and cons. Bad winters, but great food. Decent waves, zero surf culture. Great football, heartbreaking basketball...

But it's a region and day-to-day life depends on which state you're in. New Hampshire (how I miss thee!) is a very libertarian and conservative minded state, but it borders a state nicknamed "Taxachusetts" and also borders Bernie Sanders' Vermont. Rhode Island is almost all coast, while Vermont is the only land locked New England state. Connecticut is kind of cut in half with one portion of the state feeling part of Boston and the rest of New England, and the other identifying more with New York.

Grandeur likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

You know New England is not part of England, right?

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i've never lived in either. i prefer the architecture in odd places like washington state and oregon.
    and the forests in the mountains everywhere. also like little people sized trains.
    old england is kind of weak on forests, but the welsh have a lot of these wonderful little trains,
    and as a whole, the automobile is somewhat less the god of transportaion policy then in the u.s.
    which also goes for much of europe.

the problem for me, is there's no place that speaks a version of the english languege,
    that doesn't seem to think their god owes anything to what they try to tell each other,
    or that things in real life don't exist for their own sake, instead of just to be a backdrop for human drama.

my parents both came from that part of the world, new york anyway, the state and also massuhchewshits,
    my mom from the city, i visited once when i was 11 years old, and wasn't real supper impressed.

but i've seen pictures, in parts of new york, watkin's glen, that look wonderful, and i have relatives i haven't seen in decades,
    who live all over the east coast, but there's something, this collective narcessism of the 'american' attitude,
    that the only way its grate is that it grates like a cheeze grater. the british i think, have a bit less of a hatred toward logic then u.s.ians,

and i think that's healthy, but i've also observed this isn't quite entirely accross the board either.

vermont, new hampshire and maine, i've just never been there and wouldn't want to get stuck there trying to find out.
    ireland, scotland and wales, i just don't know either, other then i like pictures of the little trains. (but NOT most of what their architecture looks like)

i also think the british have the right idea about breakfast, though almost everyone agrees their food otherwise isn't particularly their strong point.

5. lode

lode Banned

So that's where the name comes from!

6. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

England (Yorkshire) is best OBVIOUSLY!

7. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

most people have only either lived in one or the other so you are never going to know !
    Thats to the OP !!

8. Rots in hell

Bollox But fairly cool in its own way !!

9. Rots in hell

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

In 1620 the Mayflower left port in Plymouth England to escape religious persecution and arrived in what became known as Plymouth Massachusetts

New England 1

Old England 0

Wiltshire, England, is home to a prehistoric monument called Stonehenge which consists of a ring of standing stones, built somewhere between 3100-2800 BC

Salem, New Hampshire is home to America's Stonehenge an archaeological site consisting of a number of large rocks and stone structures scattered around roughly 30 acres

New England 1

Old England 1

England is home to The University of Cambridge (currently ranked number 2 in the world) and The University of Oxford, (currently ranked number 4 in the world)

New England is home to Harvard University (currently ranked number 1 in the world) and Yale University (currently ranked number 5 in the world) toss in Brown University, MIT,
    and Dartmouth College, and the slight edge goes to New England.

New England 2

Old England 1

The UK Has London home to Big Ben, The Tower of London, London Bridge along with hundreds of other great historic attractions and museums.

New England has Boston (also known as the hub of the universe) with great world renowned universities, the number two hospital in the world Massachusetts General Hospital (second only to the Mayo Clinic)
    and dozens of historic sites including the Old North Church, The Bunker Hill Monument, and the Tea Party Ship.

New England 2

Old England 2

To be continued……………..

Driftrue likes this.
  11. I think the fact that they called it New England kind of evidences that old England is better. They must have been in denial about not being in England anymore to pretend it was the new England.

Driftrue likes this.
  12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

i'd rather live in new england.
    not because i especially like the sound of it, i just don't like old england.

13. Why does England have three names? I guess the US has two..."United States" and "America" people call it. It just seems weird that England is England, the United Kingdom, and Great Britain all at once.

14. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

the United Kingdom means Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    England is the part of it that is England.

15. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

..i assume Great Britain just means the same as United Kingdom? but yeah, neither are names for England.

16. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

Both has the same name, England.

17. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

I
    I was only talking of 2 places that are Englands, one of which is in the UK, the other is in the us.

Both are Englands since they are called Englands.

18. Noserider

I remember going there on a school field trip in second grade.

hotwater likes this.
  19. Noserider

Also, Kemba Walker

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Con't............

English phrase “Jolly old England, pip-pip cheerio and all that rot”

New England phrase: "Pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd"

New England 2

Old England 3