New closet grower question.

Discussion in 'Cannabis Grow Rooms and Greenhouses' started by M4N14C42O, Jun 18, 2006.

1. M4N14C42O

M4N14C42O Cannabis Connoisseur

2. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

I would use the whole space and grow between 4 and 8 plants. You can start more seeds as some turn out to be male.Why not buy 10 seeds that would do.

3. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

You have a very odd-sized closet.

Only 1.5' deep? That limits things. It's also gonna be very hard to effectively light an area that shape. You should rotate the plants daily.

First you have to determine if you want to keep 'em short (for a fast turn-around) or spend a few more weeks for bigger plants/yield.

I would use 2 gal. planters, about 8 of them.
    Start with 15 peat pots, the ones about 4" deep x 3". Fill with quality potting soil. Use something that has NO CHEM FERT's added (NO miracle grow). Look for potting soil that has the following ingedients added: perlite, bat/bird guano, worm castings, kelp/seaweed & hydrated lime.
    Plant a seed in each peat pot. Plant each seed 1/2" deep, on it's side.
    A few days after they sprout choose the 8 best-looking seedlings and transplant these to the big planters.
    Keep the light about 15" above the plant tops at all times (I use a pulley for easy adjustment).
    If you use the soil I recommended, you won't need to add any nutes during veg.
    After 4 or so weeks (once the plants are sexually mature, indicated by alternating nodes/preflowers), switch the timer to 12/12.
    The males will express sex first (usually within 7-10 days), by growing balls. Ditch 'em.
    Females start to form buds during week 3.
    At the start of week 3, start adding small amt's (1/4 recommended strength) of an organic flowering nutrient to the water. Fox Farms makes excellent products. After a week start using it 1/2 strength, but don't go above that because the soil still has nutrients.
    Keep on eye on the bud hairs. After about 6--7 weeks of 12/12 they will begin to turn from clear/milky to red/brown. They're about 2 weeks from being finished. At this time use plain water only til they're done.
    When about 60% of the bud hairs have turned re/brown, cut the braches off the plants, then the buds off the branches. Manicure the buds and put in a supermarket-type paper bag (no more than 1/2 full) and crimp the top. Open the bag daily and gently "comb" the buds with your hands, to move the buds at the bottom to the middle/top, and the ones in the middle to the sides for even drying. This takes 5--10 days depending on ambient humidity.
    When they are almost dry enough to smoke, it's time to cure the buds.
    Curing improves the taste & aroma and increases potency.
    Put the buds in a mason jar, tupperware or something that seals tightly. Every day take off the lid and air out for about 5 minutes, then re-seal.
    Ideally you should cure for at least 2 weeks, 4 weeks is twice as good. Store in a sealed container such as a humidor.

-Make sure there are no light leaks or they won't bud.
    -Use an oscillating fan inside the growspace for air distribution and stem strength.

P.S. I can tell you've done some reading up--that's good. Many people plant the seeds with no idea of what they're doing and don't post until something goes wrong, which is usually too late.

P.P.S. check the leaves (both sides) at least 2 times a week for pests.

4. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Excellent advice Rangerdanger. If I may add one thing try using an extended spectrum HPS bulb such as a Growlux. This puts out more 'blue spectrum' and may keep your internodes shorter during your veg period.

5. M4N14C42O

6. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

You should do a search on a site like here or marijuanapassion[dot]com. for LST (low stress training).

Maximum plant in minimum space.

7. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

I place a net about a foot above the plants and as they grow through it carefully bend the plants training them in and out of the net as they grow.

8. M4N14C42O

9. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

It depends on your strain as to how your plants will take to topping. Blueberry is said to respond well to topping. Experiment and try it on a plant. Think scrogg is the way to go though in limited space. Sorry have no photos at present.

10. M4N14C42O

11. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Get yourself a good maximum and minimum thermometer/hygrometer. Switch everything on and check your temperature and humidity over a 24 hour period. Aim for temperature around 75 degrees. Although anything up to 85 degrees will still be fine.

12. M4N14C42O

13. M4N14C42O

14. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

You can still get a good harvest with a 250W plus heat won't be as big a problem.

15. Blakkout

Blakkout Member

Just found this thread today. Between starting to try some growing and the pipe, looks like you and I are at about the same place man haha good luck

16. M4N14C42O

17. M4N14C42O

18. M4N14C42O

19. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

keep up the good work. Don't forget a net above your plants can be used to keep the height down. I've just orded an air cooled reflector to keep temperatures down a good investment at only £40.

20. Blakkout

Blakkout Member

So these are from seed, or they're clones? Have you actually started them yet?