New Car Question

Discussion in 'Stoners Lounge' started by toxic_OJ, Feb 1, 2009.

1. toxic_OJ

toxic_OJ Member

So i my uncle is out of town for about three months and he is giving me permission to drive his car. Unfortunately he left before he could tell me anything about it. I suppose i could have google'd my car question but then there would be emotion, no lulz behind it. My question is this: the car is automatic, but there are four drive gear selections, each with a corresponding gear of the transmission. Could i somehow use the automatic shift lever as a semi-auto transmission? You know? one of those like transmissions that they put in most new cars new. whats it called..tiptronic...yesss.okay so, would the car stay in the gear i wanted? or would it decide to downshift to a lower gear for some reason and rev higher? yeah man im the master machanic, if you didnt know...i changed my oil the other day :cool: but honestly i think that might be kinda kool. i think im going to get some new rims for the car. its a honda accord btw....pretty plain on the inside...i might save up for some neon strips in the interior...tacky? yes. but i still think its kool. idk i think having a light up car would be pretty kool after a smoke. but yeah. transmission question.

2. killswitchjd

killswitchjd Senior Member

NO!!!!! If it doesnt have the slap stick (goes by other names 2) as a feature, you cannot downshift to get a boost of speed in higher rpms!!!!! Dont fuck with the shifter I could see the tranny dropping strait out! Or at least burning out!

3. toxic_OJ

toxic_OJ Member

oh shit. i honestly would have effed it up. thanks lmao wow:sifone:

4. killswitchjd

ya I fucked my nice 8000 dollar car in a fucking stupid way, just tryn to save you the disgrace I felt

5. comfortably_numb9

comfortably_numb9 an asshole

that would fuck up the car the outher drive settings are only for bad weather conditions and are not meant to be switched from one to the other. just put it in drive(D), not D2 or D3 or any other setting.

6. digitalldj

digitalldj Canucks ftw!

bad weather conditions??

imo downshift if you want, it's not going to fuck anything up they are just lower gears, just shift up once you are topping out and dont let it bounce off the rev limiter until the fuel cuts off..

what year accord is it? I say go for it if u want to get a little more speed off the line or w/e then shift into normal "D" once u are up to speed, no damage will be done

7. comfortably_numb9

comfortably_numb9 an asshole

its not a manuel car it has no clutch so you cant down shift. the car, an automatic is designed to down shift itself

8. wonka816

wonka816 Oh Davey

yeah to shift to anything but to neutral on an automatic car you need your foot on the break...atleast any automatic ive had i have had to have my foot on the break to switch out of neutral

9. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

if you're gonna downshift.. which you shouldn't have to do.. 3rd is mostly for torque.. if going up a steep incline or towing.. 2nd can be used for inner city to save slightly on gas mileage.. but overall just use (D).. you can safely shift if you are doing 20mph or under.. i would not suggest it at higher speeds

10. Over-Grow024

Over-Grow024 Member

You can up-shift through your lower gears (1st to 3rd, or 4th, depending).

It'll be a little faster, because you can shift at higher RPM's than it will if you were simply cruising in drive.

You can also downshift if you want, its pretty unnesscary, but its not going to fuck your tranny up so long as you arent ripping it down while you're in higher RPMs than you should be...

Even if you fuck up a few times- your transmission will be fine, its definitely not good, but you're not gonna be anywhere close to blowing your tranny- unless the previous owners have already done quite a number on it.

With my old Toyota Camry, I beat the SHIT out of that car and the tranny- countless neutral drops, etc. The tranny is still kicking, and its in surprisingly good shape.

They are pretty durable, particularly on foreign cars. You're fine.

11. Vapemaster

Vapemaster Captain of a sinking ship

Why would you put new rims and neons on your uncles car that you are only gonna have for 3 months?

12. killswitchjd

i dont believe this, one of these times that trannys dropn right the fuck out

13. skierdood

skierdood Space For Rent

What he said.